Thread: Kodiak Deer/Goat Hunt?

Default Kodiak Deer/Goat Hunt?

I have done a ton of research on places to go and timing. I am going to bowhunt, primarily for deer, but if I have a chance for a goat, I may take it. I'm thinking of Deadman's Bay or Grant's Lagoon the last week of October or the first week in November, so I can try to catch the deer in the rut. I feel that will greatly increase my chances for deer with a bow. This will be my first hunt on Kodiak so I am open to any and all feedback.
    I expect some nasty weather, hopefully the deer will be fairly low and possibly goats as well. I will be going with Roland at Seahawk Air. Grants Lagoon may cause some issues with that late in the season and being picked up on fresh water, but if the winterkill wasn't too bad, I feel like it will be good for deer. Not sure about goats there, though.
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the areas for deer and goats if you have any. Any idea on how low the goats may be this time of year, if they are even lower by then?
    Also, this late in the season, are bears going to be an issue at all?
    Hopefully we will catch a break in the weather and have an opportunity to hunt.
    Looking forward to hearing the comments and opinions guys!

AK,
    Hate to dissapoint you but late October is when bear season opens, so in answer to a couple of your questions, there will be plenty of bear still around and unless it is a very strange year the goats will not be any lower by then.
    Unfortunately I don't know about the deer in that area so I can't help you, but with a little work you should be able to find them easily enough. Good luck, have fun & be prepared to do some hiking when the weather breaks and you will be good.

Thanks for the input. I had forgot to look at when bear season opened.

Bring a boat so you can cruise around the bay (if Deadman). If it hasn't snowed yet, the deer will be up close to goat country.

I know alot about Grants.....tons of deer IF you know where to look. A few Caribou. No Goats.
    PM if you want more info.