Thread: Help me out...

Question Help me out...

I am looking to buy a pair of binos, and need some advice...I have looked at the Leupold Green Ring Olympic 8x42's or 10x50's and liked them. I recently started looking at the Minox Binos and am curious on how the BD 10x42 BR asph. compare to these Leupold's. Any opinions on the Leupold's listed would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance, and good luck this season...bear season is coming quick!!!!

AZinAK

How much are you willing to spend?

AZinAK,

I borrowed some Leupold's last fall for a coues hunt in NM and wasn't very impressed. Liked my Nikons better. I recentley purchased some Steiner Predators and really like them. Nothing against Leupold, all of my newer scopes are Leupolds.

--Bill

Smile hmmmm......

Cost is an issue...I am enlisted military and it so happens to not be the highest paying job...I guess it's good considering I didn't join for the money! Let alone the "BOSS", or "babe" as I call her when called upon, isn't too down with me spending the kind of money it takes to get a pair of Swaravski's or Leica's. Thank god she understands the difference in optics and says that maybe one day I will have gotten enough honeydews saved up to get a pair, but for now I am in the around $500 range. But really, the wife is amazing and does her best to be as understanding as possible with my addiction, that being the outdoors. Got a black bear hunt down in the Sound at the end of May, so I kind of need to get on this bino buying business. If anyone can give me a good review on a pair in the $300-$500 range it would be much appreciated.

Happy Hunting...

AZinAK

Get in touch with Doug @ Cameraland,he had Minox HG 10x52 or 8.5x52 Meter Demos for about the money your looking to spend.Pentax has some good models also and demos still have a good warranty.If you go with Leupold step up to the Pinnacles.Thats great you have a understanding wife,so do I,there is always new gear to buy.Good luck and tip over some bears.Coues

If you are willing to maybe get a used pair on e-bay that is the way to go. I got a used pair of 8x30 swarovski's on ebay for 400 dollars and sent them in to swarovski for warranty work and they came back with all new lenses front and back, basically a 1000+ pair of binos for 400 bucks. My dad bought a brand new pair of swarovski binos 11 years ago and they are still some of the best binoculars we have ever used. You could spend your money on a comperable pair but if I were you i'd check ebay.

Several guys around here are buying the Minox binos which are supposed to be pretty sweet. I have some Pentax 10x43 DCF SP that I like. The Nikon Monarchs are another great value. These can all be had for 500 or less and are not el cheapo junk glass. The warranty on the Penataxes is lifetime, not sure on the other two.

Hey Lanche, way to lob that up there. I cheked right after I posted and saw those!! Good deal on a pair of swarovskis for sure!

Default Binos

Man if $500 is the number. Shop ebay. I bought a pair of 10x50 Swarovski H******** (sp?) for $500. Very very nice. Nothing compares for the money. If you want new, you should take a look at the Nikon Binos. Great optics for the money and a 25 year, $10 no fault warranty. Cant beat them. I bought a Nikon Fieldscope (spotting scope) optics as good as ziess for clarity and half the price. Also an ebay deal. The Kahles are also an excellent choice, but still above the $500 mark for a full size pair.

Good luck. You got to love a wife like that. I've got the same pleasure.

jdub