Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yentna?

Default Yentna?

Any new updates on the Yentna River north of Luces?

I know of one person running up to Hewitt Lake so should be good to go!

It you call Yentna station they are always more than happy to tell you what the river conditions are. I had talked to them on monday and they said that all is good to go other than the water levels are low but the ice is out and ready to go. If I didn't have to work i would be up there right now.

Made the trip up to (near) McDougall's and the river was good. Sure was a cold trip though and there is still quite a bit of snow up that way.

How fare up is that
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

McDougall's is almost to lake creek.

Flew the river to Skwentna and all was good! Lots of snow still and a few random chunks of ice to look out for but pretty good I would say!! Be safe out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went up sat is was fine 7-8 feet in most the river. Went 70 miles no prob.

Default Heading up tomorrow.

Think there would be any issue taking a bigger jet up to Hewitt Lake area?
    Thanks
    Will

What kind of bigger jet? Have you made the run before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone been in fish creek above lake creek how's the water level
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

24' USCOLA. I went up in another boat once before.

Well I made it up to Hewitt Lake with Big Lou my 24' inboard jet last weekend and running the river was no prob. Great start to the summer Also managed to pick up a few chickens out of Anchor PT the weekend before that, we were a few weeks early as very few shops were open in Homer but the beer was cold and we boated some fish.
    Cheers
    Will

Saturday 26th

Went as far as Kings Lodge on Lake creek or is that clear creek,

Plenty of water

I wonder how much Luces wants for the lodge? Its for sale.

Someone said that he was asking $300,000.00 dont't know for sure.

Hello everybody Im looking for some advice from locals who live and travel the area, Im looking into some property about 15 miles NW of skwentna around freedom lake I no its remote and not easy travel getting there but thats the point, I also no that it will take me about 5 to 10 years to get the property and my intelligence of the area to the point where i could live there year round and thats only if im lucky and smart plus it will take alot of money my thing is I grew up in the mountains of Virginia, when i was a kid there was mountains and woods all around it was 30 miles to the nearest store but thats no more they have stripped mountain sides for mining and cut down the woods i love to build strip malls and it truely breaks my heart, the point of all of this is I need a new home where i can raise a farm up and do some hunting without people *****ing im droping there property values. Im sorry if im ranting and rattling on I'll get to the point now what im looking for is a local that wants to make some money taking me up the yentna and then to the property and show me around a little bit, ill stay on the property for a couple of months then i will need a ride back to anchorage. I no i could fly there and back and it will be easy to do but im the type of person that needs to be on the ground hands and feet to learn, plus around the back woods of virginia if ya want to learn you go to the old men that have been doin it there hole lives. Im sorry for such a long post and I thank you all for any help

Quote Originally Posted by anclcracks View Post
    Hello everybody Im looking for some advice from locals who live and travel the area, Im looking into some property about 15 miles NW of skwentna around freedom lake I no its remote and not easy travel getting there but thats the point, I also no that it will take me about 5 to 10 years to get the property and my intelligence of the area to the point where i could live there year round and thats only if im lucky and smart plus it will take alot of money my thing is I grew up in the mountains of Virginia, when i was a kid there was mountains and woods all around it was 30 miles to the nearest store but thats no more they have stripped mountain sides for mining and cut down the woods i love to build strip malls and it truely breaks my heart, the point of all of this is I need a new home where i can raise a farm up and do some hunting without people *****ing im droping there property values. Im sorry if im ranting and rattling on I'll get to the point now what im looking for is a local that wants to make some money taking me up the yentna and then to the property and show me around a little bit, ill stay on the property for a couple of months then i will need a ride back to anchorage. I no i could fly there and back and it will be easy to do but im the type of person that needs to be on the ground hands and feet to learn, plus around the back woods of virginia if ya want to learn you go to the old men that have been doin it there hole lives. Im sorry for such a long post and I thank you all for any help
    Is this river front property or lake front property Or?

sorry old john didn't think to put that its lake front property the smaller one as far as I can tell, Im still at the eary stage of looking at this property I only found out about it last week so i dont no that much about it but when I find a property I like I start trying to poke holes in it to see if it will hold water. Ive been through a couple so far the recerch is hard because I work out on the road most of the time I just got lucky that the Hotel were building is local, hell I have been from texas to NY building these hotels

Quote Originally Posted by anclcracks View Post
    sorry old john didn't think to put that its lake front property the smaller one as far as I can tell, Im still at the eary stage of looking at this property I only found out about it last week so i dont no that much about it but when I find a property I like I start trying to poke holes in it to see if it will hold water. Ive been through a couple so far the recerch is hard because I work out on the road most of the time I just got lucky that the Hotel were building is local, hell I have been from texas to NY building these hotels
    Basically the same thing would apply here that applied to that other property you were looking at. First you want to look at the land to see if it's really worth having or not. Is it mostly muskeg or is a good portion of the land usable. If it is listed by a realator make them take you to the land and show you where the corner stakes are, if your looking at State land, your probably on your own locating it. Next you want to consider year round access. I don't know how far upriver you can get by boat, I've never been above Youngstown bend, you need to talk to someone like Larry Heater who probably knows that whole river better than anyone I know. Most people on that river have a river boat for summer and a snow machine or 3 for winter travel. Depending on how far that property is from the River you may want a 4 or 6 wheeler for travel between the river and the properly.. There are others who have planes and fly on floats in the summer and skis in the winter. Still you'll have the shoulder seasons between where a helo would be your only option in an emergency. You could probably grow a decent garden in that area, but depending upon what there is for soil, you might have to import topsoil. Keep in mind, the land really can't support you in this part of the world. The game populations are not as thick as they are in the mtns of VA. Moose numbers are down, bear numbers (black & Brown) are up. you'd have to travel a bit further North to see any caribou. There are no deer, buffalo, musk ox or other big game in that area.

Hey oldjohn is larry a member on this site? my big thing is I no i can Fly in and out and also I can take a long snowmobile trip in now i just need to find out how close i can get on a boat. I am waiting to hear back from the realator about going out there, Im trying to line up a couple of property's for when i come up there to look at so if one is not right i can check out another and the whole trip up there wont be a waste. it does cost alot at the very least im talking about spending $20,0000 cash this year thats a big pill to swallow so any and all info is great thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast