Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Railroad

Default AK Railroad

I was reading in article in an ak fishing mag and read an article about how the ak railroad provides a service to fisherman looking for a more away type of trip. apparantley they will drop you off right on the talkeetna river and when your ready to come home just flag down the next train. does anyone have any experience with this service. It is something i am really considering, it seems very afforadble.

just did some more readling the line i am referreing to is the Hurricane Train!

I've never done it, but I've heard good things. Let us know details as you find them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    just did some more readling the line i am referreing to is the Hurricane Train!
    Never done it, heard about it years ago, seems very intriguing. My research back then found that the main destination is a place called Indian River, which is between hurricane gulch and talkeetna and that it's pretty popular so you won't be the only one there for sure...but would be cool.

that area is crawling with bears
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Big angry mean bears. Don't go fishing there. They WILL kill you and eat you. I promise.

Don't go hunting there either. There are no bears during hunting season. Only fishing season.

i hate bears, they always want my fish....get your own fish bears! its something i would not do alone more like with 5 or 6 people.

I've heard that too. No surprise, since places like Troublesome and Byers are infested and they are on a major highway.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Troublesome and Byers are infested
    I walked down to Byers last summer and I swear it was hard to take a step that wasn't in bear crap. Nice trout following the kings in the creek though...

...speaking of road-accessible streams in areas crawling with bears, can a person float from Trapper Creek to Deshka Landing?

Default Don't let bears deter you.

Don't let bears deter you. I guarantee you'll see SkinnyD and ibc12 there with all of those "bears" keeping others away from their honeyholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Don't let bears deter you. I guarantee you'll see SkinnyD and ibc12 there with all of those "bears" keeping others away from their honeyholes.
    Can I get this guy to sign some sort of waiver that he won't sue me for bad information when he gets his face chewed off by a bear? I'm providing accurate information. That area is crawling with bears. Take the tip and do with it what you will. If he were going to Kodiak and someone said that he should be aware of huge, angry, man-eating bears, everyone would chime right in to agree. It doesn't take a 10-footer to pucker my butthole - I'm leery of them.

I walked down to Byers last summer and I swear it was hard to take a step that wasn't in bear crap. Nice trout following the kings in the creek though...

...speaking of road-accessible streams in areas crawling with bears, can a person float from Trapper Creek to Deshka Landing?
    Several years ago a friend and I drove to back of the gravel road on Byers when it was first put in. *Climbed down hill to water. *Immediately could see we were in a bears kitchen. *Every kind of sign everywhere. *Even the piles of carcass skeletons with little mounds of dirt. **Started fishing and catching bows. *I made my way down stream around first bend and saw nice size bear in middle of creek which is about 25 yards wide. *Turned and headed back up and told partner we should fish upstream. *He got ahead of me went around first bend and came back. Bear up there too. We decided to head back up the trail to get out of there but before we could make it to trailhead a third bear was making a bee-line up the bank toward the only way to the trail. We had to run across the stream and then we went up steep trail backwards with gun out. As we got in truck and backed up there was yet another bear crossing the road a couple hundred yards behind us. Infested. Haven't been back since.

You can float from Petersville Rd to the mouth of the Deshka. It's a few miles up the Susitna to Deshka Landing, so you'll need a tow to float all the way to the landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You can float from Petersville Rd to the mouth of the Deshka. It's a few miles up the Susitna to Deshka Landing, so you'll need a tow to float all the way to the landing.
    That's a good point, Gary. The better question would have been how small does a boat need to be to fit in the creek, and how much motor does he need to get back up the river to the road? I was only asking because Trapper Creek looks pretty impassable from the Parks bridge. I suppose I was aware that there would be that annoying stretch of the trip that wouldn't necessarily be "floating," but hopefully not "sinking" either.

Several years ago a friend and I drove to back of the gravel road on Byers when it was first put in. *Climbed down hill to water. *Immediately could see we were in a bears kitchen. *Every kind of sign everywhere. *Even the piles of carcass skeletons with little mounds of dirt. **Started fishing and catching bows. *I made my way down stream around first bend and saw nice size bear in middle of creek which is about 25 yards wide. *Turned and headed back up and told partner we should fish upstream. *He got ahead of me went around first bend and came back. Bear up there too. We decided to head back up the trail to get out of there but before we could make it to trailhead a third bear was making a bee-line up the bank toward the only way to the trail. We had to run across the stream and then we went up steep trail backwards with gun out. As we got in truck and backed up there was yet another bear crossing the road a couple hundred yards behind us. Infested. Haven't been back since.

wow! thatd be something

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Most people float from petersville road down to and take out at lake O'neil, and fly out. You can do it in a canoe or raft, it is a nice trip, I have done it before, but I don't know how far down you have to go before you can fish for kings. But on the other hand there is a lot of trout up there to keep you busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    ME?? I'm scared of bears, everyone knows it. I prefer to fish places like the russian, with lots of company. Safety in numbers you know.
    Voice of experience. Cut out the middle man, and don't go at all! Seriously. You WILL get eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Most people float from petersville road down to and take out at lake O'neil, and fly out. You can do it in a canoe or raft, it is a nice trip, I have done it before, but I don't know how far down you have to go before you can fish for kings. But on the other hand there is a lot of trout up there to keep you busy.
    Exactly. Willow air offers good deals on these trips. Super affordable flight for the take out at Neil Lake. They will also for a little extra money, ride up to petersville road with you in your rig and drive it back. They do this for Kroto, Moose, and Trapper.

I don't recommend floating past the Neil Lake takeout. Neil lake also has pretty decent Pike in it if you get there early and need something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    ME?? I'm scared of bears, everyone knows it. I prefer to fish places like the russian, with lots of company. Safety in numbers you know.

Voice of experience. Cut out the middle man, and don't go at all! Seriously. You WILL get eaten.

Exactly. Willow air offers good deals on these trips. Super affordable flight for the take out at Neil Lake. They will also for a little extra money, ride up to petersville road with you in your rig and drive it back. They do this for Kroto, Moose, and Trapper.

I don't recommend floating past the Neil Lake takeout. Neil lake also has pretty decent Pike in it if you get there early and need something to do.
    Huh, I just saw that my post got a bunch of asterisks put into it...must have been a glitch with the cell phone entry. Anyway, icb12, I would never tell anyone not to go try it...I've just found better fishing with less bear stress. I guess everyone's different....I have a hard time having fun when I'm surrounded by those things whether they are going to eat me or not.

Huh, I just saw that my post got a bunch of asterisks put into it...must have been a glitch with the cell phone entry. Anyway, icb12, I would never tell anyone not to go try it...I've just found better fishing with less bear stress. I guess everyone's different....I have a hard time having fun when I'm surrounded by those things whether they are going to eat me or not.

I've discovered the hard way that often knowledge alone is not enough to deter people from entering a hazardous situation. You have to be forceful and physically warn them. Its for the safety of the general public. Unless you're a trained professional like myself you should not be entering into such a dense and unruly population of wild grizzly bears. You threaten not only yourself but hurt the reputation of all fishermen.

I strongly recommend that all people fishing follow a few simple rules.
    Rule 1: Use the banded buddy system. This a system bear professionals designed. Basically it states that when fishing, you should always keep AT LEAST 4 other fishermen in sight at all times.
    Because: A) otherwise you could end up alone in a potentially deadly standoff with mother natures largest carnivore, and
    B) if there is no one there, there probably isn't any fish anyway. People go where the fish are.
    Rule 2: Never carry any lunch. The smell is like crack for bears. They smell that smoked turkey sandwich and they are going to be on you like stink on salmon carcasses.
    Rule 3: Always carry extra beer. Should you happen to have a close encounter it will help calm the nerves and get you thinking straight so that you can make a quick and hasty exit.
    Rule 4: Turn around at the FIRST sign of bear. This could be a track, a pile of scat, a bunch of hair or that peculiar odor they give off.
    Finally: Rule 5: Never travel with Little ones. Not only are they loud and obnoxious to other fishermen, but their joyous screams and gleeful shouts can actually be attractors to bears. Bears love to eat babies. It's a proven fact. Besides; kids dont like to fish anyway, thats an urban myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    I was reading in article in an ak fishing mag and read an article about how the ak railroad provides a service to fisherman looking for a more away type of trip. apparantley they will drop you off right on the talkeetna river and when your ready to come home just flag down the next train. does anyone have any experience with this service. It is something i am really considering, it seems very afforadble.
    Built a cabin up that way a couple winters ago. Always wanted to do that Indian River to Talkeetna float. Also everything else posted is true. I have heard theres lots of bears and definitely people.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast