Thread: Lost Three Pots !?!?!?!

Question Lost Three Pots !?!?!?!

Hey guys,

I was wondering your opinion....I just lost three pots a couple of days ago, and i believe it was due to a coroded conection with a zink tear drop connector. the connection was connecting my sinking line with the normal about four hundred feet down....and it snapped. No sound was produced when it actually snapped which brings me to believing it was a corrosion and wear and tear issue other than hanging in the rocks. But i was wondering if anyone has had problems like this, or if they prefer using teardrops, d=rings, or braiding them together yourself.

Thanks for the info guys.

We generally splice our lines together. If we need to connect two lines in a quicker fashion, we tie them with two pairs of bowlines - no connector necessary.

Braid them together. I'll show ya how next time I see ya if you want. Are you guys home now? How did ya do?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

we did ok all in all, but we had some hickups. would love to tell you all about them, PM me i will tell you most of the story. We still killed one bear, but had to leave two days early fearing the next storm coming in would strand us there till sunday. looks good out there caught a lot of fish and SOME shrimp, and lost three pots.....will tell you more later....but one bear down and lots of summer to look forward to makes everything look better.

Did you mean a caribiner? Just use a double Sheet Bend backed up by a bowline, it ain't going nowhere.P8140144.JPG
    If using 3 strand rope tuck the tail back through the lay(twists) of the rope(black rope in pic) a couple of times for added security.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We generally splice our lines together. If we need to connect two lines in a quicker fashion, we tie them with two pairs of bowlines - no connector necessary.

Yup, splice your lines together.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Everything I have is spliced or back spliced. It is that danged ex-coastie in me.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

We and the rest of the commercial crab fleet always use the "Carrick Bend" to tie two shots of line together. I still use it on all my shrimp gear. Google it for instructions. It's a very simple knot and will always come apart when you want it to, no matter how tight the line has been pulled. I tape the tag ends together for security, and to allow the knot to set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    We and the rest of the commercial crab fleet always use the "Carrick Bend" to tie two shots of line together. I still use it on all my shrimp gear. Google it for instructions. It's a very simple knot and will always come apart when you want it to, no matter how tight the line has been pulled. I tape the tag ends together for security, and to allow the knot to set.
    I also use the carrick bend to tie two shots together.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Bowlines are not a good choice for joining two lines or for attaching buoys ...... unless followed with half hitches. Bowlines can loosen and untie if not kept tight. A "double sheet bend" is a better choice for joining two lines.

http://www.animatedknots.com/sheetbe...?Categ=boating

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    Bowlines are not a good choice for joining two lines or for attaching buoys ...... unless followed with half hitches. Bowlines can loosen and untie if not kept tight.
    Been using them commercial fishing and shrimping for 20 years and have never had one come undone. There may be better knots, but I'd say the risk of one coming untied is pretty low based on thousands upon thousands of successful trials with not a single failure.

The key to knots staying tied is not scrimping on the tail. If you have a decent tail on the knot, odds of it untying are pretty slim, especially if you put a half hitch in the tail. Also the type of line matters, some cinch down much better than others.

But, a nice clean way to attach your bouy is to splice a nice big eye on the end of the line and girth hitch the buoy. Pass the eye through the hole in the bouy, pass the loop all the way over the bouy then girth hitch that can't come out and can be removed in less time then it takes to read this.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

If you cant tie good knots then tie lots of them LOL