Thread: Fishing,Shrimping, Weather stunk

Default Fishing,Shrimping, Weather stunk

Have to love Whittier but we did see our first whale a mile out from the harbor so that made the trip.Weather was going to turn to crap tonight and the wife did not want to stay another night . Did catch some octopus Going to eat them since they ate all my shrimp
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Not sure how octopus tastes, but they make for awesome halibut bait

What type of whale did you see? In 30 years of going out of Whittier I have never seen a whale in Passage Canal. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    What type of whale did you see? In 30 years of going out of Whittier I have never seen a whale in Passage Canal. Very cool!

Not sure but it was covered in barnacles There was one other boat there watching it .The wife was REAL happy cool thing to see It was not very big either

A few years back we saw several killer whales off the N end of Culross, but I've yet to see any in Passage Canal.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thats weird that you PWS regulars never seen whales in Passage canal. I have been there only half a dozen times and I have seen a whale in the canal.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    A few years back we saw several killer whales off the N end of Culross, but I've yet to see any in Passage Canal.
    Yep, I see Orcas in Perry Passage with some regularity and once in a while in Port Wells, but not yet in Passage Canal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Not sure but it was covered in barnacles There was one other boat there watching it .The wife was REAL happy cool thing to see It was not very big either
    Did it roll while surfacing to breathe, or did it just stick it's head up and then back down without showing a good look at the dorsal fin and/or tail? The barnacle description sounds more like a Gray, but Humpbacks are more common in the Sound. Humpbacks tend to have a more classic roll as they surface (sort of like a dolphin or porpoise), whereas Grays often only expose the top of their head (there are exceptions, of course). I think I've only seen one Gray inside the Sound (up in Kings Bay), but they are still migrating along the coast right now, so sometimes a few of them take detours into the Sound.

This is a pretty common view of what a Gray would look like when surfacing:

This is what you'd likely see with a Humpback:

Thats it!! It never came all the way out of the water to see its tail just surfaced blew and submerged. But it was half that size

I've only been on the Sound twice (so far) but we saw three orcas inside Passage Canal on August 9 last summer. Also watched a humpback at Surprise Cove. Neat place but I'm not sure how good of a Salty Dog I would make. That deep dark water makes me nervous. I overestimate my desirability as a prey species.
    Go Big Red!

This is what you'd likely see with a Humpback:

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing Brian. I have never seen an actual gray before, but I'll know what to look for now!

We saw what I think was a humpback between pigot and surprise last sunday. Also saw what I think was an orca come completely out of the water about 5 minutes after we saw the humpy about 1/2 mile from each other. The second definately had some white on it.

We also got to play with the dolphins on the way out and back to camp (ok - porpoise).

Dall Porpoise?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

We had a school of Dall play around the boat while we dropped our pots just outside of Three Fingers in Cochrane bay last Friday night. My little boy Jack said "Daddy I just saw a big fish" and boom they were circling the boat and ripping it up. So cool when they do that.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Three summers ago we saw what we believed to be a grey whale in Passage Canal. Two summers ago we woke up to a group of Humpback Whales feeding in Blackstone Bay near Willard Island. Unfortunately the pictures didn't turn out very good.