Thread: Knight Island blacktail

Default Knight Island blacktail

So my hunting buddy and I want to do a fly-out caribou hunt next year, but finances will not allow him to do so. So I am looking into a water taxi service for blacktail next year. I have went back and looked at the archives and found little on Knight Island for blacktail. I have a bay in mind, but would like some more help from others to narrow down my search. It doesnt have to be Knight Island, just read some on it and from the looks of it, it looks promising.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I can tell you a taxi (transporter) NOT to use. If you talk to him, don't walk- RUN away.
    But, he does do a good talk, he just won't produce results.

Chris

I wonder what the winter kill was like with all the snow down there.The sound is a fun place to chase deer around,though never hunted knight but heard blacks are on it might turn out to be a combo hunt!

From experience, Knight has some good deer on it. I think people shy away due to it's ruggedness, which is OK with me!
    BK

I used Duke with Eshamy bay lodge also known as prince William sound taxi. Here the picture of the boat to area we went to last year. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336676364.905588.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Akmike,
    That is an awesome picture! Some of the best eating Alaska has to offer, nice job.
    BK

That was the group that went out a week before us to same island. There was 4 guys in our group. 20 deer in 4 days. We stayed in a tent for 10 days. Next season it a Arctic Oven. Sorry didn't mean high jack thread. I hope the winter kill isn't to bad. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336677103.206230.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1336677115.023603.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I can tell you a taxi (transporter) NOT to use. If you talk to him, don't walk- RUN away.
    But, he does do a good talk, he just won't produce results.

Chris
    Other than getting you to and from where YOU want to go safely, and maybe checking on you from time to time, there is NOTHING a transporter can legally do to help "produce results". If they give you any advice or info on hunting, such as where to go or how to hunt they are crossing the line into guiding which they are not licensed to do. There can be serious consequences for that.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Just be aware that there are quite a few parcels of native land on Knight, so make sure pick a bay and area to hunt that will keep you from trespassing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I didn't have a problem finding deer on Knight this past Dec....just ran out of daylight and had to make a run back into town in the dark. I'm sure the snow took its toll on them this winter.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Twodux,

If you shake my hand and tell me the hunting group will sleep in your Lodge on the island and you will transport me to where I can hunt, then YOU (the transporter) should do just that. This transporter blatently lied about the lodge building (still not built yet...) and did not seem to want to get us to areas we could hunt during our weeklong "hunt". He did provide fishing rods for us. Also he put out shrimp pots and as a group we ran them DURING OUR HUNTING TIME. Without other means of getting around we were stuck.

So okay, I'm still a bit ticked about what his word meant to him.
    It was alearning experience about checking into Transporters before giving them money.

My word is a bond. My handshake is a sealed contract with me.
    Chris

Whittier water taxi is good, we used him last year. Four of us got 12 total in 3 days. It was an awesome trip. Don't count out going to montage or hinchenbrook both have quite a number of deer on them and it's not as rugged as knight, and u don't have to deal with the native land.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.215040,-148.404633