Thread: advise for trailer roller and winch

Default advise for trailer roller and winch

I have a 8x14 ft flatbed utility trailer I want to modify to easily handle rafts and still keep multi-use in mind.
    What is the best hand winch and mounted height,material for post, length of cable or strap,winch brake/freespool, quality components,weight of pull rating, etc? 20 ft on some straps seems short for less than ideal situations. I would prefer not to use cheapest pressed gear stuff and spend a bit more for a winch that will last and be problem free.
    Any help on a good design of rear removable roller is appreciated. I have seen pipe rollers and also 4 sections of industrial lumber type rollers. What is the best bearing to use with a sch 80 pipe set-up?
    I don't mind some fab and welding.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I have a 8x14 ft flatbed utility trailer I want to modify to easily handle rafts and still keep multi-use in mind.
    What is the best hand winch and mounted height,material for post, length of cable or strap,winch brake/freespool, quality components,weight of pull rating, etc? 20 ft on some straps seems short for less than ideal situations. I would prefer not to use cheapest pressed gear stuff and spend a bit more for a winch that will last and be problem free.
    Any help on a good design of rear removable roller is appreciated. I have seen pipe rollers and also 4 sections of industrial lumber type rollers. What is the best bearing to use with a sch 80 pipe set-up?
    I don't mind some fab and welding.
    Thanks.
    Our trailer is about the same size and we have the green outdoor fake grass or indoor/outdoor grass type carpet on the trailer bed floor and the cataraft (18' with a heavy frame set up) readily slides on this. No Need for rollers. We unloaded / loaded this week and did not have to tilt the trailer bed.. Just backed the back up until the rear of the trailer bed was equal to the water surface.
    As for the winch - our trailer tongue was extended a bit and the winch was mounted on a 2x3 channel iron welded to the frame. The height is about two feet high, at the bottom there is a support welded at a 45 degree towards the trailer bed attaching to the tongue. For the winch, there is another beam welded, towards the trailer bed at a 45 degree angle, and the top ends at the same height of the main vertical beam. On the top of these two beams is a flat or horizontal 1/4" plate where the winch mounts. A standard Fulton 1000 pound winch with a strap, I think ours is 15-20 feet, works well. If this confused you, I can try a picture later this week as well as the model # of the winch..
    Last edited by dgrant09; 06-04-2012 at 22:40. Reason: additional information