Thread: Question about Caribou Bag Limits????

Default Question about Caribou Bag Limits????

I am planning a trip to hunt Caribou in unit 20B or 20A (depending on draw) this fall. We are planning on an 8 day fly in hunt.

However, I was wondering if we if we tag out quickly in 3 or 4 days can we (is it legal) to purchase another license and run up the Haul road and hunt in unit 20F or 24A?

Thanks for the help.

Default should be

It should be, you can bag a bou in a one animal limit area, and then move to a two or more animal limit, but not the reverse. Just be careful some areas have differant limits for non res.

Default I will try

You can only harvest the number of animals in the unit you are hunting. So suppose:
    Unit A - the limit is 10.
    You go to Unit B and the limit is 12, you can harvest 2 more animlas.
    If you go to unit C and the limit is 5, you can not harvest any form that unit.

You can only harves the max. total for the lower unit unless going to a unit with a higher harvest total.

Does that make sense?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Basically, no...though there is one exception. Most of 24A and all of 20F has a bag limit of one caribou per year for nonresidents. If you take one caribou in another unit of the state, you may not then go harvest another caribou in a different unit with a bag limit of one caribou per year. You could go to a unit with a bag limit of two caribou and take one more, but the bag limits apply statewide. Once you have taken one caribou, you may not hunt in any other unit that restricts you to a limit of one caribou. The exception I mentioned is in a small part of 24A you may take 5 caribou per year. Taking a quick look at the on-line regulations I can't clearly tell where this dividing line is, but this idea doesn't seem to be much of an option anyhow. If I were you and connected with a caribou early, I would either turn my attention to black bear or moose, depending on when and where you're at.

-Brian

Great. Thanks for the clearification!

Default Check the regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado_Ryan View Post
    I am planning a trip to hunt Caribou in unit 20B or 20A (depending on draw) this fall. We are planning on an 8 day fly in hunt.

However, I was wondering if we if we tag out quickly in 3 or 4 days can we (is it legal) to purchase another license and run up the Haul road and hunt in unit 20F or 24A?

Thanks for the help.
    Ryan,

Here's a quote from page 14 of the hunting regulations that should clear this up:

"You may hunt a species if the bag limit in your hunt area is greater than the number of animals of that species you have already taken anywhere in the state."

In other words, if you shot one caribou in a one-caribou area, you may not shoot a second caribou in another one-caribou area. Most of the area you are looking at has a bag limit of one caribou, so you would not be able to do what you are asking.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Not quick enough!

Looks like I posted ten minutes too late! While I was quoting the regs some of the other guys got right to the point. Sorry for the duplication!

Good luck on your hunt.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay