Thread: Puzzled

Default Puzzled

I hooked up the batteries to the boat the other day. Needed charging so I hooked the jumper cables to the batteries to lower the motor down and up several times. Fine, motor turned over too, Honda 90. Everything in the system works. Radio, electronics, winch, 13.8 volts at the batteries after charging, nothing not working except the motor.

Motor has a little voltage to it now, enough to hear the hyd. pump. I have checked the fuses, wiring, battery connections, kill switch, in neutral before starting..... several times. But nothing will turn the motor over or power the hyd. pump. Can't even do it jumping it with the truck now either (dual battery, heavy duty charging system F-250).

For the life of me I can't figure it out. I have had the boat ten years and can't figure this one out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Start by redoing all ground conections, Disconect ,clean and retighten. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Start by redoing all ground conections, Disconect ,clean and retighten. Good Luck
    That's probably excellent advice.

I was fixing trailer lights awhile back, and looking for good ideas I googled it up. Google immediately says: "Fix your ground connection". So I did, and it was fixed.

Yup sounds like loose, drity or corroded connection(s). Do you have a DVOM to test with?

Nope connections are all good and clean. Done every year. Might be switch on the control panel has gone out but if the switch is on, the power up/down should work.

Dave some were you have a bad ground.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

This is just a crazy idea. My friend had a similar problem with his Honda 90 a few years ago. All checked out fine prior to launch. Put it in the water at Seward dock and experienced low voltage as you described. We tried starting a few times, and "nada". A few moments later, the insulation on one of the main cables to the starter started smoking. Pulled the boat out to inspect, and found that the "twin" cable had chafed INTERNALLY over time, and was shorting between the cables (+ and -). The damage to the cable wasn't visible from the outside (until, of course, we saw where it had finally gotten hot enough to melt). Over time, cable flexing when the tiller was turned left to right caused the problem, and also made the defect intermittent. Storm Chasers fabricated a new cable, and saved the day for us. We were glad it happened at the dock, and not out in Resurrection Bay with a possible fire. It may be worth trying to disconnect that cable and "bypass" it for a voltage/ground test. Just a thought. (OBTW, I HATE electrical problems!)

Heavy rain today and rain the rest of the weekend. Time to tarp it over, get a real good flashlight and mirror and check every wire from the control panel back. Ten years of faithful running so I have no complaints.

Yea I hate electrical too.

Lonewolf, not a bad idea on that one. He should be able to disconnect it and ohm it out with a DVM rather than deal with trying to bypass. With the DVM connected you can bend the cable around while measuring and see if resistances increases.

I remember a year or two back a guy on the tolman forum who has an older honda 90 had an electrical problem, but for the life of me I don't recall the details. I tried to find the thread doing a search but came up empty. It might have been corrosion in his wiring from the engine to the battery.

Have you done a resistance check on the cables from the engine to the battery?
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

One little white wire with barely enough corrosion on it I could not even see it. Cleaned it up, tightened it down and good to go.

Good deal!!!! I LOVE those cheap fixes!

Where was the little white wire located in the electrical circuit? Would like to know for future ref. Thanks, and congratulations!

It came from up front and attaches to the + side of the main battery. It somehow has something to do with the control box power to the trim and the key switch. The control box still had power to the gauges so I thought I had power to it. Although I had cleaned the battery cables, I must have not cleaned this one lug for this wire good enough to make good contact. I grease the terminals too so maybe between the grease and lack of cleanliness caused the problem.

Shrimp pots are now soaking.