Thread: Porcupine 101

Default Porcupine 101

I've heard saying that when you see a porcupine in the woods, you need to tap it on the rear with a stick. If you don't, they will head into the woods and warn all of the other animals that a hunter is around, and you will have back luck hunting. Has anybody else heard of this?

I was pretty much done hunting early Tuesday morning, however caribou and grizzly were still a possibility. I was driving south on the Dalton, and saw a porcupine cross the road, so I had to ensure my hunting luck wouldn't be jeapordized by the little fiend, so I headed after him. My wife bought me a GoPro2 for my birthday, so I've been looking at more uses for it. A few hours earlier I had it strapped to my head when I shot a caribou, and now I had the chance to get some critter close ups. Which brings me to myth #2 that I have heard about porcupines.

Myth 2 involves their quills, and how they can throw them at you. I've seen porcupines whip their tail and watched as quills went into a stump next to me, which validated my beliefs on this theory. This guy did the same thing, but I didn't see any quills come out. I tapped him on the rear, and then got up close to him to take a little video. After a few seconds he lowered his back and turned to face me. After a quick look at me hunched up with his front feet in the air, he made a quick motion like he was going to charge, pretty much like a bully would punk his victim. Well it worked and I jerked back pretty good, but looking at the video it almost seems like he was trying to launch quills at me from the front. Check out the video and let me know if you think this is what he was trying to do. I'll toss in the bou shot as bonus footage. Don't mind my ugly mug in the end when I'm trying to remember which button shuts it off.

I don't know what the little critter's intent was but he certainly didn't appear all that concerned.

The caribou video was awesome. But, that looked like a really, really, long shot with a bow. What was the actual range?

The actual yardage was 30 yards. I aimed for 40 thinking it was a little further out. It gets tricky to judge with the white light around. I hit her a little high, on the bottom of the spine and the arrow went into the off side scapula. The footage makes it look like a pretty long poke.

I don't know what kind of porky you ran into that threw it's quills, but I'll guess none that are native up here. I have caught and released more than I care to count and can assure you the north american kind don't throw their quills. Not sure what you saw but I'm guessing that porky just slaped the stump with it's tail and maybe it just looked like they were thrown.
    And when I say I have caught and released alot I mean up close and personal.

2 pretty cool videos. Last year I had a porcupine chase me down a creek bed while he was making all kinds of squealing noises. I did not know what to think of it at the time, I thought I had suprised him and he was sticking up for himself. I did not know that North American Porcupines do not throw their quills. That is good info.

Awsome videos!!That porky even made me jump!!!

It has been scientifically proven that Porcupines cannot 'throw' their quills. They do come out easily however, so if it was in contact with something, then the transfer of quills would be easily achieved. Here is what our state biologists say about it:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed.../porcupine.pdf

The porcupine that I saw toss a couple of quills was on an elk hunt in eastern Montana. I thought it was a bloody elk walking through the forest with the amount of noise it was making. I got up close to it and it whipped its tail. I noticed a stump about a foot away from it had a couple of quills in it, so I presumed they got there from the tail whip.

Thanks for the link PAcWest.

Loved watching you flinch when that porcupine moved, heck it even made me flinch a bit sitting here watching the screen. Good job on the videos!

Default Porcupine attack?

Great clip. I think he was just messing with you. They are known for their sense of humour. So, what is the best thing to carry for protection against charging porcupines? Porcupine spray or large caliber handgun? I can see a new thread starting soon.

With Porkies the story is only for the area of the Land Otter People.

Haa tuwßasigoo uhwßan ts˙ yei kutˇosteeyi.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Dang, I would have like to seen that caribou on the rodeo circuit back in my bull riding days. I once pulled off an awesome stalk on a griz fresh out of his den N of Kobuk one year. When I peaked over the hill I was only 30 yds from a huge.....porcupine.