Thread: What uses a Clip?

Default What uses a Clip?

I heard Jeff Cooper tell a young Marine one day that a clip was what his daughter used to hold her hair back.

6.5mm Carcano?
    M-1 Garrand?
    M-14?
    1911?
    M98 Mauser?
    '03 Springfield?
    Ruger 10-22?
    SKS M43?
    BAR?
    M-40A?

........................List any and all....................
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I got a buddy who insists on calling the 30 round mag in my AK-47 variant a "banana clip" does that count?

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I got a buddy who insists on calling the 30 round mag in my AK-47 variant a "banana clip" does that count?

- Clint
    No that just means your buddy is a banana. :-)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murph CARANO CLIPS
    The Carcano M38 (or M91/38 ) rifle is a Mannlicher-type clip fed internal magazine. A clip 6 rounds clip, ( they had brass and steel) is inserted into the magazine (top of the action) until an internal latch grips it. Operating the bolt causes the follower pushes the next round up for the bolt.
    The empty clip falls out of the magazine when the last round is chambered. it is not generally recommended that you attempt shoot the Carcano rifles with single rounds loaded manually. The reason is that the extractor on the bolt is designed to pick up the round from the magazine. The bolt will often not close on singly loaded rounds.

Carcano Short rifle M 91/38 bearing serial number C2766, produced in 1940 in the Terni Arsenal, and chambered for the 6.5x52mm Carcano, is supposedly the rifle used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate President John F. Kennedy. A Japanese made side-mounted 4x18 scope (imported by Ordnance Optics Inc., Hollywood, California, was installed installed by the mail-order distributor of the rifle, Klein's Sporting Goods of Chicago.
    The scope is monted on the left side of the receiver so the clips could still be fed into the action.

There is a debate about the Carcano clip. The national archieves claims to have one brass clip from the rifle itself. If one round was chambered and three expended brass casings were found, that means that the clip would still be inside the rifle whe it was discovered. Having read the reports, it looks like a bunch of non-gun folks made a bunch of observations before they ever had their facts straight.

6.5mm Carcano Yes, 6 round in-line semi-enclosed

M-1 Garrand? Yes 8 round enbloc

M-14? Yes and no. The 14 magazine can be topped off with 5 round clips via the charger clip guide on top of the action. These load the detachable magazine itself without detaching it.

1911? Nope

M98 Mauser? yes 5 round rail type
    '03 Springfield? yes 5 round rail type, the same as Mauser.
    Ruger 10-22? nope
    SKS M43? The standard SKS uses 10 round rail charger clips. Or can be single round loaded into the magazine

BAR? They did have charger clips to load the detachable BAR magazine.
    M-40A Nope, the scope would get in the way if you moiunted a charger clip guide.

FN-49.... Yes they used 5 round cahrger clips to feed the 10 round semi-fixed box magazine.

Enfields: yes 5 round charger clips to feed the 10 round semi-fixed box magazine.

Mauser Broomhandle Pistols, Yes rail type, to load the internal magazine.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mosin Nagant, 5 round clumsy thing.

I got a front clip on my Jeep.

Default Clips...

US Model 1917
    Some Winchester Model 70's
    Remington Model 30
    M1 carbine charges magazines from 10 round clips
    M14 can be charged with clips from top if magazine is in place as well as clip adapter

Default Clips...again

I've also seen Remington 721's with clip charging slots,
    as well as Remington 700's, those set up for match work
    Some 40X Remingtons
    Seems like I've seen charger slots on a Remington Model 81, but wouldn't swear to it.
    40mm Bofors feeds from a clip.....'Now THAT's a clip, Matey!'
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default clips, yet again...

M1917 Colt
    M1917 S&W
    New Service,
    Model 25
    think two, three, and six round 'moon clips' holding .45 acp ammunition that maintains headspace and allows extraction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Murph CARANO CLIPS
    The Carcano M38 (or M91/38 ) rifle is a Mannlicher-type clip fed internal magazine. A clip 6 rounds clip, ( they had brass and steel) is inserted into the magazine (top of the action) until an internal latch grips it. Operating the bolt causes the follower pushes the next round up for the bolt.
    The empty clip falls out of the magazine when the last round is chambered. it is not generally recommended that you attempt shoot the Carcano rifles with single rounds loaded manually. The reason is that the extractor on the bolt is designed to pick up the round from the magazine. The bolt will often not close on singly loaded rounds.

Carcano Short rifle M 91/38 bearing serial number C2766, produced in 1940 in the Terni Arsenal, and chambered for the 6.5x52mm Carcano, is supposedly the rifle used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate President John F. Kennedy. A Japanese made side-mounted 4x18 scope (imported by Ordnance Optics Inc., Hollywood, California, was installed installed by the mail-order distributor of the rifle, Klein's Sporting Goods of Chicago.
    The scope is monted on the left side of the receiver so the clips could still be fed into the action.

There is a debate about the Carcano clip. The national archieves claims to have one brass clip from the rifle itself. If one round was chambered and three expended brass casings were found, that means that the clip would still be inside the rifle whe it was discovered. Having read the reports, it looks like a bunch of non-gun folks made a bunch of observations before they ever had their facts straight.
    Very good. I didn't know there was ever a clip found in Dallas. I always thought that was the flaw with the theory. If no clip then it was loaded singly which even if possible would take a lot of time. In my eighth grade history class our teacher ask all of us to keep a log of news events in detail from this event which I did, as announced on tv, radio or in any print I could find. There was never an announcement of finding the third cartridge case until nearly three weeks after the shooting and never was a public announcement made about the clip being found. This was a big deal to me then since I had a Carcano carbine at the time, given to me my my dad's jerk cousin, and I had two clips and found it didn't work well without them.

You should be teaching the "clip" class.

Originally there was little written about the clip from the rifle. However, it is an evidence item. The conspiracy folks like to jump on that one.
    Heck fire the first guys there were not even sure what type of rifle it was. Not surprising since lots of cops and soldiers have no clue about firearms other than those they are issued.
    Plus they like to home in on the fact that the FBI said it would take 2.5 to 3 seconds to cycle the bolt between shots (using the scope). And the film shows just over 6 seconds for three shots.
    They were not shooters. You and I know that the first shot does not take any time at all. The rifleman is ready, loaded, on target and just has to pull the trigger. So only the two follow up shots have a time period between them. About six seconds.
    Plus the range was actually rather short. Between 40 to 80 yards. So using the iron sights would have wroked better. And they could be used the way that rifle was set up.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Clip

There are some clip fed firearms yet unlisted;
    The Mod. 96 Broomhandle Mauser
    The 8mm French Lebel rifle
    9mm Styer-Hahn auto pistol
    9mm Borchardt pistol
    8mm Hotchkiss heavy machine gun
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !