Thread: Anchorage lakes

Default Anchorage lakes

Anyone had any luck? Hit up Delong, jewel, sand, cambell with negative results. Another thing is, was float tubin on sand and I couldn't believe all the dead fish laying on the bottom... Any ideas?

I hit delong yesterday and did ok. Just fishing off the dock soaking a single balls o fire on the bottom and caught two bows. 12-14 inches both of them.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

They stocked sand during the winter, and someone that works for fish and game told me they are worried that the stocked fish all died. I am assuming that is what happened as I noticed the same thing last night.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    They stocked sand during the winter, and someone that works for fish and game told me they are worried that the stocked fish all died. I am assuming that is what happened as I noticed the same thing last night.

I have put in about 8-10 hours fishing effort at sand lake of my three days trying so far this year. The first trip, I fished for about an hour with no hits, quickly caught two 8-12 inchers, and the action died again for another hour before leaving. The last two trips have been complete skunks, I saw one small school of five 12 inch rainbows cruising and that has been it. I have tried lures, eggs, shrimps, and a combinations of all three. One of the two fish I did manage to land also seemed extremely weak and oxygen deprived or something.

I have only been there once and caught 2 when I went there. Both were about 14 inches nice healthy plump good looking fish. There was a midge hatch going on. Both caught on flies.

Well at least there still signs of life out there. Yeah I've tried about all my methods at sand with no results and after seeing all those dead fishes... I knew something fishy was going on out there. Most of them were nice size ones to at that. Looked like those lunker chars that was stocked before freeze up got the most of it and failed to adapt quickly enough. Talked to another fisherman out there and he was convinced the lake was poisoned again but I assured him that it wasn't at least to my knowledge. Well, Thanks for input gentlemen, now I know that I'm wasn't losing my mind and seeing things. Happy fishing

Visited Cheney Lake here in Anchorage yesterday (06-05) with my 5 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter. Mid-lake, the boy caught a beautiful 16in Rainbow - needless to say he was super excited! We were actually trolling with nightcrawlers from our canoe. Thanks ADFG for stocking our lakes!