Thread: Mid June Gulkana float

Default Mid June Gulkana float

We are floating the Gulkana in mid June from Paxton to Sourdough. Although I have a fair amount of rafting experience, I have never done this float before. We are doing early in hopes of missing the larger crowds of king season. Any fly recommendations for the rainbows? Any advice on fishing the lakers at the mouth? Campsites with the best fly fishing opportunities? Has anyone hiked up to Canyon Lake? What kind of water conditions are typical in June? Thanks for your help.

Hi Cig:

This is my back yard and I can help out as needed. The river will be running fast and should be clear. Keep an eye on sweepers in the river as I have been caught off guard below the canyon once back in the late 90's. Heads up!

The section from the outlet on Paxon down to the canyon offers really good fly fishing, I like to toss dry flies in that section as it is quick water and the fishing is fast for sure. The Canyon should be super for both Grayling and Rainbows. Switch over to leech patterns and most bead heads in the eddies. Good fishing and plan on spending overnight and some of the next day in that section. the 6 miles below the falls is very fast and good fishing . Really all the way down to the West Fork is good fishing. The Oxbows is the cut point for goof fishing and where the river slows down a bunch.

Plan on 5 days to do it right. The Canyon Trail is a mess and gets hammered by ATV's and is a really poor choice for hiking. bring your chest waders and a winch!

Fun Trip! Done it many times.

Walt
    Gulkana Rafting
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info Walt. We are doing 5 days and 4 nights on the river. What do you know about fly fishing for the lake trout at the the mouth? I would hope that the ice will be out by the second week of June.

Walt sorry I am piggy backing just in my DNA :-)

CLG - I will be floating it starting the 9th of June and the only time we have never seen others in Mid June was on the 8th of June. Normally by the 14th you will find more than enough people already on the river. No not as bad as the peak or the 4th of July but enough people to keep the camp sites busy.

This year might be a little exciting IMO. With potentially a little early on the ice out with a spawn taking place maybe just maybe a little earlier Early to Mid July i.e. 8-9-10 time frame and no later than the 12-13-14 of June should put you in the wheel house for some great fishing. Leaf Pop has started in most locaitons putting the bugs in the mood to move so Early Stone and Caddis should also be in full swing as well as the Potential for Smolt Out Oh baby! If in fact you find your-self just prior or after smolt out Fish heavy Stones size 4-6 behind every rock you find about 2 miles out from the Canyon as well as through it and for the next 11 miles after as Walt stated the Oxbows down low can be productive. Aslo bring along some nice Cone Head Buggers and Sculpins size 2-6 as well as any standard Smolt pattern you like to fish.

The Bows should be coming off Spawn and Hungry so don't toss them a cashew when they are after a Candy Bar.

Concerning Lakers at the outlet Smolt Smolt Smolt if you time it correctly I fish a size 4 mini flash my own desing weighted. Most of the real action takes place after the sun sits just behind the hills does not go down just sits lots of power boats start about 1:00AM and fish till about 0500 in the morning for the lakers so you have to ask your-self what your target fishing should be. Yes once in a while we will pop a nice 25 inch Laker down in the river a ways but for the most part night fishing for the real deal i.e. more action than day fishing.

Remember these or my opinions and we all have them.

Tight Linesa and Best Wishes.

Richard "Moose" Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting
    www.bluemooseraft.com
    907-460-7758

Very Nice! Good stuff, run with it!

Walt
    Gulkana Rafting
    www.gulkanariverraftrental.com

Moose- Thanks for the great information. It looks like you will be finishing up your trip as we start ours, we are looking at starting on the 13th. I've had a chance to get the boats wet a few times this year, but I am always amped up to float new water.

It was a long winter on the fly bench. The boxes are full of big leeches, sculpins, buggers and smolt, can't wait to drowned them. I will have to tie up some stones.

Default Doing trip in late July

Not to hijack the thread, but we are planning on doing a float in late July. Are there any permits from the native corps that are required for the area for camping. We are just planning on floating and fishing. First time on the Gulkana so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Another pirate post: floating from Sourdough to the bridge around 20 june. Hopefully there will still be catch and release for kings. Does anyone know someone to hire to drive my truck to the bridge?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Lots of good info on every subject at the listed link.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/content/ak...lkana_nwr.html
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What I thought you were offering shuttle service as well as boat rentals? No permits required for the upper unless you are commercial operation and working off of BLM land. So Nope on the Native Corp thing.

TWB - The BLM site is great I actually use some of the information in my fishing seminars great resource.

Keep in mind that from Sourdough down is all native land above high water. We keep out clients below the high water mark and on the gravel bard. Sticky subject and a non issue most of the time but the Native Land Use guys does have a jet boat and I have seen him on the water but mostly during King season and Moose season.

Walt
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com