Thread: Multi-purpose Anchor?

Default Multi-purpose Anchor?

What anchor would you recommend for a 21 foot boat in rivers, lakes and saltwater? Is there one that'd be effective for all uses?

Default Anchors

I use a 22 lb Bruce anchor for my 21'. The only place I would use my 50lb river anchor would be in a river that I was worried about the Bruce grabbing a log or snag on the bottom and becoming stuck. These anchors hold better than anything and if you use the proper set up store conviently on the bow of the boat.

Curt

Do you have a West Marine catalog? Aside from ordering stuff, West Marine's catalog has great tutorials on all kinds of subjects. They go into great depths on Anchors, rope payout etc.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Richter in Cabelas

I use the 25lb, the biggest one they have anyway and am really happy with it. I have a 20' Hewescraft, I've used it everywhere, Salcha river to the salt in Valdez, I don't even use chain in front of it, haven't had to. Worth a look. Oh yeah, shipping is only like 12 bucks too believe it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach_curt View Post
    I use a 22 lb Bruce anchor for my 21'. The only place I would use my 50lb river anchor would be in a river that I was worried about the Bruce grabbing a log or snag on the bottom and becoming stuck. These anchors hold better than anything and if you use the proper set up store conviently on the bow of the boat.

Curt
    Hard to go wrong with a bruce anchor. If it gets stuck and you have rigged it correctly, you can break the sacrifical winding and pull the anchor backward out of about anything.

Bruce anchors
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Rocna anchors - new design and a great hold

I bought a Rocna last year for my 30' Kingfisher and it provides excellent anchoring. A Rocna always attains its correct setting attitude for quick penetration, regardless of how it hits the bottom. It digs straight in, offers superior holding-power, and will not easily trip out on load reversal. It provides the best in safety, security, and dependability in my book. You can look at them at AMD in anchorage if you are interested.

I would use chain regardless. You could get chafing of the line near the anchor and lose your anchor.

Wink

Sky Diver hit the mark. Adequate chain is as important as the anchor. I learned my lesson by not rigging my First bruce anchor correctly with a breakaway and ended up losing anchor, chain, and about 150 of rode. I now carry a back up anchor as well as a breakaway on the main anchor as AKmud recommends. You can only truely appreciate your anchor setup in a really big blow at night. I still sleep with one eye open!

I'll also go with the Bruce. I have a 33lb Bruce with lots of heavy chain & 300ft of 3/4" double braid nylon plus i have a second anchor all set and ready to go if the you know what hits da fan. Been in some good blows on the copper river flats and she held fine !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692