Thread: Popcorn bait barrel set up?? Need some help

Default Popcorn bait barrel set up?? Need some help

Hey all,

So I am about to set me bait out. I have a new 55 gallon drum with removable lid and am wondering how you popcorn baiters cut the holes?

How many holes, what size?

I will search the threads here in a bit but any first hand info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if all your using is pop corn keep your hole small as possible to make them use the drum like a salt shaker, it will keep bears there longer and make yourbait last ... if your going to wet it with molasis or other STICKY things that will make it ball up.. make a 4"-6" hole in the center of the drum and lay the drum on its side, ... laying it down allowes you to fill it.. stood on end, you get half a drum.. and a stood up drum with a hole in the bottom.. Bleeds bait to fast..

dont forget to round the edges of your holes. to prevent shaving the hair off the wrists..

if your using the shaker method.. just take the large bung out of the lid and chain the bottom rim to a tree..

about anything you do will get bait out there... the above is some off the things others have taught me and seem to work to REDUCE the amount of work involved. thus making it a lot more enjoyable.

good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Hey all,

So I am about to set me bait out. I have a new 55 gallon drum with removable lid and am wondering how you popcorn baiters cut the holes?

How many holes, what size?

I will search the threads here in a bit but any first hand info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jason
    Is the barrel plastic or metal?

With the lid being removable, I assume its was a metal barrel and one cut holes in the lid. whether via jig saw, cutting torch or plasma cutter.

Was the barrel used for fuels or flammables? If so, take it to someone with experience with such matters.

The holes in my barrels are 4 to 4.5 inches in diameter.

PS:
    Vince - Great advice. Good to see that you're back on-line!

great advice. Thanks

I have not used popcorn yet so another question. Do you suggest wetting it with syrup or other sticky stuff, or just using it dry?

Thanks again.

I coat my popcorn with cheap pancake syrup and then stir in a bunch of koolaid and confectioners sugar. They love it. Plus the stickiness helps spread the scent to the game trails.