Thread: New to the Sport

Default New to the Sport

This is my first summer in Fairbanks and I want to learn how to fly fish. Does anyone know any places that offer fly fishing classes in the Fairbanks area or any good places to get advice on how to get started?

I dont know of any specific classes. But, a good place to start would be Piledriver Slough for a beginner. You can toss about any fly and the grayling there will usually take it.

I believe big rays is having fred decicho teach a casting corse here pretty soon, go in there and talk to Jason he can point you in the right direction, another place to look is midnight sun fly casters.

You're just in time - there's a course offered at UAF June 2-3, including both classroom teaching and some on-the-water stuff. It's a good place to start. I would stay away from Piledriver unless you're specifically looking for examples of really dreadful fishing, whether it's crappy casting, incompetent water-reading, or out-and-out fish molestation. On the other hand any idiot can catch a grayling there and tons of them do.

Get this Lefty Kreh dvd. It will show you how to cast in a no nonsense way. Great info. That and reading old threads here, asking questions here, etc.. will go a long way. Get in touch with someone at a local fly shop for basics. Do some lawn casting after watching the dvd, then hit some water. It is easier than it appears. If you can go to the thing with Fred Decico, go. He is a great guy and was a ADFG bio for a long time. He studied and knows more about dollies than anyone on the planet. Seriously. Parting advice, don't buy all the stupid crap that seems needed. You need a Tie-Fast (brand) nail knot tool, a pair of nippers, and a pair of hemostats. Everything else is questionable at best. Throw some flies in a dip can and off you go. Keep it simple.

http://www.cabelas.com/fishing-dvds-...ting-dvd.shtml

-Dan

mlshore I am normally hands off an calling out stuff on the fourm I will agree that the UAF program has come a long way and offers a viable resource and is a good place to start. What I don't understand is the attitude and comments concerning Pile Driver and out right calling people Idiots. Being helpful is a great thing being harsh and snobbish is another. As fly fisherman we all start some place most of us were or are self taught some were lucky enough to have mentors. Finding our way was half the fun and by no means none of us have the right call others idiots for trying. Last time I check participation in the Sport is half the battle these days.

To the original post- There is no wrong way to go about learning. Yes there are better ways and more proficient ways to accomplish the task but brother if you want to go turn the water into splash garden than have it and have fun doing it. Last comment I promise. If you have all the requirements set forth by the State of Alaska to go fishing call me on Sat 907-460-7758 that is my cell or email me at BMR@gci.net I will find the time to take you out for a few hours on Sat or Sunday and we will go visit Pile Driver Slough if not this weekend then next my treat.

I'm with moose on that, I fish pile driver every other 3 days for about an hour before I go to work but that's because I work about a mile away, I do try to avoid in if there is a bunch of people though or I will walk in a ways. The fishing is ok right now they are in spawn pretty good right now so most of the decent size fish aren't up for grabbing anything, plenty of smaller guys though.

I didn't call anybody an idiot but I do think there's a lot of people out there who aren't familiar with the regs, who sling the fish around, and who are something less than courteous. I went back out there yesterday and someone moved into my spot while I was showing a trooper my license, even though my gear was still on the spot (I later gave that guy a fly when he was having zero success catching anything).

It's a nice place to fish when there aren't too many people around but it can be hellish when there's a crowd. If you're new to the sport and you don't know what's good practice and what's not you're likely to pick up some pretty crappy habits copying what you see there, whether it's slamming the fish around or giving other people space.

Also, I can only begin to guess at how much discarded mono I picked up.

FWIW I caught some decent-sized fish yesterday, and last week. The smaller guys are pooled up in front of the conduit but if you can get a beadhead or weighted fly into a hole under some trees you'll get some better fish.

I fish the Chena 'badger" slough often this time of the year. I consider myself moderately ok with fly fishing, I have caught a few fish. I am willing to assist you in getting started if you wanted to meet up?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

You must be out there on a saterday if a trooper is comming to check licenses, I can understand your distaste for the spot then, like I said if there is more than a couple people there I will walk into a different spot.

MLshore thanks for the clarificaiton and professionalism. Yes some of us just don't get it and yes it leaves a sour taste seeing abused fish and messes being left and Rude Fisher People I am with you on that.

Denns -Don't under play your cards Man! I think there is enough video out there now you can't hide any more!

Enjoy the day.

Grumble....

Jedi and Bluemoose just opened a door. My advice after 'knowing' them for years is that you take them up on their offer. The ability to get out with someone and learn how to fly fish is nothing to take for granted. I didn't have anyone around that knew how to fly fish so I was lawn (gravel) casting in the parking lot of the Fire Department in Kotzebue. One guy there was nice enough to help me tie my fly line on to my backing, that was all the help I got. Heck, that knot took 30 minutes, but I was glad to get the help. I wish I could have spent an hour at that time with someone that knew how to fly fish.

-Dan

Word up Dan! Dennis could guide any place in the state Heck he was just in the paper and lord knows he has taken the time to take several service members under his wings as well. If you allow me to assist as well I start having way to many commitments after the 19th. Life in the fast lane eh!

Peace out.

As Jedi stated, Badger Slough is excellent this time of year and I would have to take him up on a free lesson. But again, I would also check out Pile Driver sometime in the future. Heck my girlfriend was new to fishing in general a few years back and did excellent learning how to toss a fly there. I must also add that I have never seen a big "crowd" and when there was some folks they were generally good people to hang out and fish with. Hope this helps and good luck.

when i first started out, i had our head guide show me the basics and after two trips i started on my own. I spent a lot of time on the river just watching what other people were doing and mimicking them. im an ok fly fisherman now. I highly advise that you do a lot of people watching while your out.

For whatever it's worth I drove up CHSR this afternoon and the ponds are open. The fish aren't biting yet (next week, I figure) and when they do they're pretty small, but I have to say that the pond at 48-mile on the left is probably as good a place to practice casting as you're going to find in the area. It's a big flat open space with a bunch of still water in front of you, and once the dinky fish (graylings) wake up they're pretty game.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    For whatever it's worth I drove up CHSR this afternoon and the ponds are open. The fish aren't biting yet (next week, I figure) and when they do they're pretty small, but I have to say that the pond at 48-mile on the left is probably as good a place to practice casting as you're going to find in the area. It's a big flat open space with a bunch of still water in front of you, and once the dinky fish (graylings) wake up they're pretty game.
    I totally agree, there are a few ponds on CHSR that a have a some nice grayling/trout in them. As ML said the grayling arent that big, but they are plentiful and aggresive. I like to throw a mosquito at them personally and seem to have a lot of success.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Denns -Don't under play your cards Man! I think there is enough video out there now you can't hide any more!
    (spoke like the ala Coach Jim Mora "Playoffs" rant) Video? Videooo? r u kidding me, what video?...LOL

Ok Grumbleska, its on you....Moose and I both threw you a bone. You dont have to wear any plastic either..haha
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks guys for the posts and the invites. I am working this weekend but appreciate the invitations. I just got geared up (for the most part) and it sounds like the key is practice and don't worry about looking like a newbie when you first get out there.