Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut vs Ling Cod - Which one tastes best ?

Default Halibut vs Ling Cod - Which one tastes best ?

I have not eaten ling cod, but have eaten halibut, reds and kings. I am kind of fussy when it comes to eating fish. I don't even enjoy eating fresh trout because they taste fishey to me. ( I know that is weird - but that is me ). I love catching all kinds of fish. I have been told that ling cod are as good tasting as halibut. I do like the taste of halibut, reds when they are fresh but not so much king salmon. Given this as a criteria, should I release the ling cod or put them in the frezer ?
    I know there are differences in the taste of size and age of the fish. All being equal what would you as experts in the fish
    catching and eating do? Go ahead you can beat me up if you want.

Thanks

whitewaterdmd

Well, everybody has different taste buds, so nobody is going to be able to tell you which you will like best. Kind of strange that you think trout taste "fishy", but you like salmon. Just proves my point tho.

Personally, I would take ling over halibut any day. I think halibut is essentially tasteless, which I think accounts for it's popularity.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think that ling cod taste better than halibut and that rockfish and pacific cod taste better than both of them, but all of them have a richer flavor than halibut. Halibut is reasonably bland and just tastes like whatever you season it with. If that's what you like, keep the halibut and release the rest.

Id say keep the lings! well after july 1st that is. I like them better than Halibut, but if your not a big fish eater, you might just stick with the mild Halibut flavor.

I have to say lings, then rockfish, then halibut. I would definitely keep any lings you boat, someone will like them. In fact I was in Seattle last month & the restraunts on the pier were selling lings for $17 per plate for a lunch special.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I think that ling cod taste better than halibut and that rockfish and pacific cod taste better than both of them, but all of them have a richer flavor than halibut. Halibut is reasonably bland and just tastes like whatever you season it with. If that's what you like, keep the halibut and release the rest.
    yeah, what he said!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I love my Lings !!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by gitdown View Post
    I don't even enjoy eating fresh trout because they taste fishey to me. ( I know that is weird - but that is me )
    Believe it or not you are not alone. Growing up about the only fish I would eat was a white fish surrounded by a liberal coating of some sort of breading material. I absolutely disliked the taste of just about anything other than cod or something similar. But I have loved to fish since I can't even remember. But the moment I tasted my first salmon I was literally hooked. I still hate the taste of most fish, but salmon, ling, halibut and the various rock fish I've tasted I absolutely love.

That being said, I'd absolutely have to agree with "iofthetaiga" and also generally with the consensus here---asking which tastes better is like asking which tastes better between one sort of apple or another. It really depends on the person tasting it.

But THAT being said I think ling cod has more of a subtle taste than halibut. As Brian said, halibut is definitely more bland than ling cod and really takes to whatever seasoning and cooking method you use.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Best fish I have EVER had was a rockfish I cooked right on the boat within a couple hours it was caught. Nothing fancy, I just sauteed it with butter and garlic pepper.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Best fish I have EVER had was a rockfish I cooked right on the boat within a couple hours it was caught. Nothing fancy, I just sauteed it with butter and garlic pepper.
    Lightly breaded in cornmeal, panfried, and served on a fresh homemade sourdough bun with fresh lettuce and a thin slice of tomato from the garden, is the best fish sandwich known to man. (At least this man).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I used to share a similar sentiment, but then I had winter king. Oh....my....gosh. There's this dirty pseudo-hippie that I know that lives at the end of some road in Homer that used to argue with me about feeder kings being better than spawners. "Yeah, yeah..." I thought, convinced that all kings were the same. Simply put, I had no idea. I still keep reds, silvers, and kings from the rivers with the occasional pink and chum from the salt, but they all pale in comparison to a feeder/winter king. I was recently told by a friend in Southeast that feeder kings have 30% more fat than others caught in the salt that are heading for their spawning grounds. I don't know the accuracy of the statement, but based on the taste difference, I wouldn't be surprised.

I know this thread is about white fleshed fish, but for my money there isn't a better tasting fish in the ocean than a feeder/winter king - followed very closely by sablefish. Thankfully, I've still got a bunch of winter king steaks in my freezer and am heading out after sablefish in 10 days.

Krill Fed winter/spring kings are tops, without question. Fresh, not frozen. Cooked over charcoal.

2nd is Halibut Alyeska. Don't eat it more than once a month, or you'll die from a heart attack.

3rd is variegated king, cooked over charcoal. About as good as it gets. If you get one in the winter, savor it, and it moves to #1.

4th is needle fish fed king. Very good, 90% of what I catch.

5th is herring fed king. Very good.

6th is fried rockfish. On certain days, this is in the top 3. Just not today.

7th is beer battered ling or yellow eye. Once or twice a year, tops for me.

8th is halibut tacos. Substitute for ground red meat. Add taco seasoning. Very good and easy.

9th is sockeye, smoked. Pretty good.

10th is halibut enchiladas. Sour cream, cheddar cheese, onions, green chilis, black beans, and corn. How can you go wrong? Even better as leftovers.

(all fish was bled, cleaned, and iced upon landing. They are a "clean" fish before put on ice)
    (no fresh water comes in contact with my fish meat before being professionally vacuum packed)

Brian, The very best is a white winter/feeder king!!!! You don't even have to cook it.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Brian, The very best is a white winter/feeder king!!!! You don't even have to cook it.
    Thankfully my bride caught one for me a little over a month ago. I'm aware - nothing better!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Those are two statements I'd stand behind 100%! I brought one home once and I just couldn't help slicing off a nice sashimi piece of it. I don't recall ever having any fish that tasted that good.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you like halibut, you'll love lingcod. I'll rate ling at the top of my seafood chart, but really the key for any fish is the fresher the better. When we catch a legal sized one during the season, it always ends up in the ice chest.

Also note that lingcod and rockfish do not freeze well, so when you've caught enough to freeze, make sure you eat them first. Halibut is one of the best fish for long term freezer storage.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thumbs down Not even for the halibut . . .

Ling cod, hands-down, no contest . . .

Nobody, but nobody eats halibut . . one eats what's on the halibut, the driest, most tasteless fish in the world! Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street for all the halibut up here.

As for salmon caught in rivers: I'd rather eat a salt-caught pink that a red caught upstream . . all the difference in the world between salmon caught in salt and salmon caught in fresh water.

My two-cents . . . and I'm stickin' to it . . .

Love the Ling but have you ever had butter poach black cod. Melts in your mouth

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We agree with Brian.

Fresh ling or yellow eye is hard to beat but Doesn't last as long in the freezer as halibut and are not as sustainable, I like to keep one once in a while for a special fresh treat and stick to halibut for the best year round white meat. Feeder kings!!! Are Better then anything else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast