Thread: info for float hunting Wild River?

Default info for float hunting Wild River?

I am planning a hunt on the Wild River this fall and wondering if anyone has hunted this river and/or has any good advice for moose hunting this area.
    thanks

Is "Wild River" the same one that is near "No Name" Lake and "Hidden Hunting Spot"?

Heee..
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals

yep, what would you like to know.

From the Lake down to Bettles, expect about 5 days. Creek is shallow in spots and narrow as a pencil at low stage.

fish for pike and trout in the lake, grayling in the creek.

Hunt slowly and glass the basin before floating too far down. only a decent spot for moose, expect 50% at best for most hunters.

class I stream and class I-II on the Koyukuk.

larry

The Wild is a great trip. I've floated it 3 times and am going back again this year. The best part about the trip is the wilderness aspect of it. Bear and wolf tracks are plentiful, but you will rarely come across a boot print on the sandbars, much less see other hunting parties. I have seen another party on the river only once.

The moose numbers aren't great. In 2004 we only saw one bull - he got away and we came home empty-handed. 2009 our party of four saw one bull and managed to bring him home. It was hot and the river was very low that year. We spent more time dragging, portaging and patching rafts than we did moose hunting. 2010 we saw three bulls and shot one of them (51 inches). Despite the challenges, the wilderness experience makes it worthwhile in my book. I would rather come home empty handed than hunt in a crowded area.

Good luck. If you are on the river September 7-14 we may bump into you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ddeshazo View Post
    The Wild is a great trip. I've floated it 3 times and am going back again this year. The best part about the trip is the wilderness aspect of it. Bear and wolf tracks are plentiful, but you will rarely come across a boot print on the sandbars, much less see other hunting parties. I have seen another party on the river only once.

The moose numbers aren't great. In 2004 we only saw one bull - he got away and we came home empty-handed. 2009 our party of four saw one bull and managed to bring him home. It was hot and the river was very low that year. We spent more time dragging, portaging and patching rafts than we did moose hunting. 2010 we saw three bulls and shot one of them (51 inches). Despite the challenges, the wilderness experience makes it worthwhile in my book. I would rather come home empty handed than hunt in a crowded area.

Good luck. If you are on the river September 7-14 we may bump into you.
    Yep - this is a very well said response of the Wild... Back in the day not another party along the trip and much the same is likely today in terms of people and impact. Best float time for optimal water conditions are last week of June then trends shallow. Wild Lake to Bettles --- almost all Class I and a bit of II. It is a wilderness experience and self reliance is key. Relatively less demanding in terms of whitewater classification and hazards, but should use very reliable boats and gear. Fitness and patience can also pay dividends for best success.

Hey thanks for the info, we are going out a little later than you but it sounds like its going to be an enjoyable hunt. We are hoping to get into some moose and bear. Any other tips for this river? Thanks

Bring alot of extra gear so whew Isaac dumps you in the river you still have some left over to finish the trip!