View Poll Results: Would you hunt Wolverine Creek for bear if you had the opportunity ?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 82.93%
  • no

7 17.07%

Thread: Would you hunt wolverine creek for bear?

Default Would you hunt wolverine creek for bear?

With all of the debate on the request for help on hunting wolverine creek that has gotten heated. I thought that it might be interesting to see where people stand on hunting it. Do you consider it ethical to hunt there and would you if you could?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I could care less if it is ethical or not it is in the black bear predator control area so I would hunt it to help the poor moose out.

As long as the person ccomplys with this I see no problem.AS 16.05.790. Obstruction or Hindrance of Lawful Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, or Viewing of Fish or Game.
    Fishermen and viewers have the same rights as hunters
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

At one time I would have sworn up and down that I'd never bait black bears. Now a couple of years later, I've got a barrel chained to a tree like every other <insert stereotypical North Pole insult here> in my town. Could I change my mind about shooting tame bears? Maybe...
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Anytime you can almost pet an animal, it take the hutning out of it. I would never the lake at all. I must feel as if I out smarted the animal and this is not doing that for me. I have spent alot of time in this area, and has hunted 30 miles North and have done very well.

Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I had the opportunity to hunt a specific area that had a gross over-abundance of big bull moose you better believe I'd do it. Same could be said for a bear hunt...if I had the opportunity, then yeah, why wouldn't I?

For the record, I wouldn't pass on a 50+ inch moose simply because it's right next to the road either.

Quote Originally Posted by bearpawoutdoors View Post
    Anytime you can almost pet an animal, it take the hutning out of it. I would never the lake at all. I must feel as if I out smarted the animal and this is not doing that for me. I have spent alot of time in this area, and has hunted 30 miles North and have done very well.

Thanks
    I can understand your reasoning considering you make part of your living taking people there for bear viewing purposes(further conditioning them to humans) and for fishing.

I agree with Frostbitten. Better that an animal retains it's natural fear of people and is taken by a hunter and prized, rather than by Wildlife Troopers and pitied because it has attacked someone who believes that any bear is tame. This practice of allowing Law Enforcement to hunt animals because they are suddenly 'dangerous' usurps our individual responsibility to respect wild animals and protect ourselves.

But, there has never been an attack. They are veiwed as wild bears and and treated as such. I agree with you, if it was a problem, but it is not and has not been for years and years. I have hunted many bears and as a hunters I love the feeling that I have out smarted an animal. This is along the same lines as hunting in a high fence. I see the point, I could just not do it.