Thread: If you had a 172, and 2-3 weeks, where would you hunt?

Default If you had a 172, and 2-3 weeks, where would you hunt?

Longtime resident and hunter of Kenai Pen; My brother wants to go on a DIY fly/hunt for the first time this fall, and it's in it's infant stages of planning. Have a 150 HP 172 with 206 wheels/fork, and looking into places to explore, have fun, and maybe get a Caribou. He is pretty competent, and confident with off site landings (within reason) Any ideas?

How much do you want to spend is the question, there are some places on the slope but it cost to get there and back. Kotz is also lots to get there and back. As a resident you can hunt Caribou on the back side of the AK Range much cheeper. Good luck hunting its always fun anyway.

I did out of Kotz last year, had a blast.

I would go to Mexico and drink mucho Tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    He is pretty competent, and confident with off site landings (within reason) Any ideas?
    "Pretty" competent...??? I hope he's REALLY competent, AND confident flying in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    "Pretty" competent...??? I hope he's REALLY competent, AND confident flying in AK.

Lol, I would say he's really competent... probably only 6-800 hours, but all Alaska time. I've also got 800 hours in Blackhawks, (in AK) and 2000 hours in C-17's. While I'm not the guy at the controls (enlisted guy sitting behind pilots), I'm REALLY experienced in decision making flying VFR up here.

Algonquin: Just curious about the $$$ part. at 6.5-7 GPH with the mogas STC, I'm not sure that flying the 172 anywhere in AK is really going to break the bank. Are there other costs you're referring to?

Lol, I would say he's really competent... probably only 6-800 hours, but all Alaska time.
    REALLY glad to hear it..!!!...lol. Have you thought of a sheep hunt? There's gotta be a long enough gravel strip somewhere in sheep country for that 172. If I had a plane that's what I'd be wanting to do.....

You ever land on the beach.... If so I go an idea for ya.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You ever land on the beach.... If so I go an idea for ya.

Does Nanwalek count? I would say that beaches are doable, but again within reason. 206 tires on a 172 are good, but they're not tundra tires... would have to be relatively firm.

I'm personally a little out of shape for sheep... a possibility, but maybe try the crawl walk run thing for now.

I hear ya on our of shape for sheep.... I send you a pm.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Does Nanwalek count? I would say that beaches are doable, but again within reason. 206 tires on a 172 are good, but they're not tundra tires... would have to be relatively firm.

I'm personally a little out of shape for sheep... a possibility, but maybe try the crawl walk run thing for now.
    If you're really serious, and want to hunt for moose, caribou, or coastal brown bears, PM me and I cann tell you where to go for success and where you likely won't see any other hunters. It's a little distant from Anchorage, but quite doable and usually quite successful. All the flying is overland, and low altitude. It will require a flight - - - both ways - - - through Lake Clark Pass. Good luck with your planning.

I don't know whether to start a new thread or tag on here. I am looking for the same information for Caribou. I myself am in a 170A on 29s 200 hours all Alaska time, mostly off airport (but not a lot of short field). I am open to any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    I don't know whether to start a new thread or tag on here. I am looking for the same information for Caribou. I myself am in a 170A on 29s 200 hours all Alaska time, mostly off airport (but not a lot of short field). I am open to any ideas.
    PM me and tell me where you'll be flying from (Merrill, for example). I'm sure I can help you . . . . . I guided Alaska for many years, and flew all those years, too.

Grizzly - PM sent.
    Thanks