Thread: Washing gortex,Event,etc

Default Washing gortex,Event,etc

Im wondering if there is any alternative to the detergent REI sells for gortex/event rain gear? The stuff they sell is pretty expensive for 1-2 washes -$20
    Any advice/suggestions wouyld be greatly appreciated
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

step 1: suit up... step 2: arm the wife with a garden hose... step 3: job complete.... that will be $20 sir

Hmmmm wish it was that easy. Been out in the salt for the last 9 days looking for a good deep cleaning so they last more than a yr or two
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

ya i dont have to worry bout salt very often

The biggest problem is not in the washing, rather using fabric softener in the drier...that is a big problem. You could run your gear through the wash 2 or 3 tiems without any soap, and you should get it pretty clean. If you use a soap, just use it sparingly...no bleach!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

2 cycles in the wash, spray with eVent fabric conditioner then hang dry.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I use Sportwash.
    Now what ?

I just had to wash my Montane Superfly XT jacket (eVent fabric) as it was covered in someone's blood, and I used Nikwax Tech Wash, and closely followed Montane's washing instructions and let the jacket air dry on a coat hanger.

It exceeded all my expectations for cleaning performance. Attachment 59937

Attachment 59936

From: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...g-instructions
    Machine-wash warm (104° F/40° C). Powder or liquid detergent. No fabric softener. Follow manufacturer's instructions.

Here's similar advice for Simms waders: (http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/about_repairs.html):
    Waders should be washed by hand, in a bathtub, in cold water using a powder detergent. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry, including the feet. Packaging or storing your waders wet may result in mildew and tape peeling. Simms Waders should not be dry-cleaned or put in the dryer. A water repellent treatment, such as Revivex®, will rejuvenate the water-resistant finish on your waders.

Unscented powder detergent is not hard to find.
    When I asked the Simms rep about Revivex and similar treatments for the DWR coating, he didn't think they were so important. I agree.
    Keeping Goretex and similar fabrics clean (free of oil and dirt) matters. Nothing else as much.

Good luck.