Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polly Creek, where do you land?

Default Polly Creek, where do you land?

Up on the beach or out in the tidal zone?

With my c-180 I always land up on the beach and do a 270 degree turn to tail out about the tide line. Today I was one of four that did that .... walked FOREVER to get to the clams, eight other cub's of various configurations landed out on the high dry areas of the tidal flats and dug clams around their airplanes.

BTW .... I was #4 launching out of PABR at 8:00 AM, 3 out of 4 of us ended up at Polly. At 140 kts I beat everone there .... but the cubs arrived shortly after my long walk. It was close to a perfect day ... sunny on landing winds about 10 kts from the south, turned around to SW @ 15 when I left at about 11:30 ... back at Birchwood at 11:45 with 69 souls on board ... 68 of them clams ... that is all I could walk back with.

When I think about landing below the tide line I always get parinoid about what if she does not fire up.

Any thoughts?

Actually landed back in Birchwood at about 12:20 .... my bad

I always land up on the beach. I agree with you, if for some reason your plane doesn't start, the tide comes in pretty fast! Plus I like the exercise.

How were the winds yesterday? I tried to go down Sunday but turned around when I heard a report that it was gusting to 50 kts down there.

Winds were fine yesterday 10 to 15 mph, just enough to keep you from getting too hot while walking or digging. Sorry I did not get back sooner but after I finished cleaning clams .... uggggggggg ... had supper with two glasses of red wine and fell then asleep on the couch.

I just thought of this when it come to winds ... the avation forcast from NOAA is too general for conditions like winds at Polly Creek. What I do is look at the marine forcast for the north gulf coast (item #4) and if you scrool down and find the segment Cook inlet north of Kamishak bay, it will give a good forcast for planning purposes.

fish & High,

Gettin the 180 back from Wicks soon. Gonna do the VGs then.

Either before of after the VGs, let me know when your going. I'd like to follow ya in. Not to clam but just to land on my first beach etc.

If it's ok.....give me a heads up at Bluedog@ak.net

thanks

Rick
    180B

Do NOT put a C-180 on anything offshore. Use the beach, and walk as far as you must.

I once got a message from Homer Radio that a C-180 was stuck on an offshore sandbar because his aircraft wouldn't start. In his haste [the tide was coming in at its usual shocking pace], he had flooded the carb and the pilot wasn't getting any cooler in his continued haste. I landed on the same bar, gave him a hand, and he soon had his Cessna cooking right along. By then, the bar was so small that I had to take off first just to give him a little more takeoff room.

I assure you that the longer walk could one day turn out to be a very wise financial investment.

Default Thats where

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Do NOT put a C-180 on anything offshore. Use the beach, and walk as far as you must.

I once got a message from Homer Radio that a C-180 was stuck on an offshore sandbar because his aircraft wouldn't start. In his haste [the tide was coming in at its usual shocking pace], he had flooded the carb and the pilot wasn't getting any cooler in his continued haste. I landed on the same bar, gave him a hand, and he soon had his Cessna cooking right along. By then, the bar was so small that I had to take off first just to give him a little more takeoff room.

I assure you that the longer walk could one day turn out to be a very wise financial investment.
    Thats where some rope and a come-along will go a along way. Got us out of a bar on the Su once.

RR

Hey Rocket

Sent you an email guess that 1/3 gig video was not such a good idea .....

As to the last comment ... a come-allong is a great idea for a few hundred feet. Sad to say, it will most definately not work if you have to go the better part of a mile if you do not have anything (tree trunk, log to burry) to secure it to ... my thought is the same ... what happens if you can't start the beast? SOL

Fish,

I drive a steel stake in the grn and using a long rope with a pulley, i pull my Achilles and motor and all gear ON the trailer up from the beach using the truck. No fuss on muss.

The same concept will work with a plane & come-a-long ....YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Hey Rocket

Sent you an email guess that 1/3 gig video was not such a good idea .....

As to the last comment ... a come-allong is a great idea for a few hundred feet. Sad to say, it will most definately not work if you have to go the better part of a mile if you do not have anything (tree trunk, log to burry) to secure it to ... my thought is the same ... what happens if you can't start the beast? SOL
    You CAN start the beast. You got 'er there, didn't you? If the tide's coming in, a pilot in a hurry may flood the cylinders. Ask other pilots how they overcome a flooded engine. DON'T run the battery down . . . . . Something like a C-180 is a little hard to prop.

I'ld like to try my first shot at digging clams at Polly next month. C-185F. Are 8.50x6 tires good enough for beach landing?

Quote Originally Posted by Putzpilot View Post
    I'ld like to try my first shot at digging clams at Polly next month. C-185F. Are 8.50x6 tires good enough for beach landing?
    I've always landed on the beach. Avoid the soft sand higher on the beach . . . . .

I just land where the planes are, on the flats. 8.50x6s were good enough for me out there. The tide comes up hella fast, so give yourself plenty of time. Once you see the first plane go wheels up, I'd advise you to do the same. The first time I was out there, I watched everyone take off and thought I was the only smart one, and they were leaving all the clams for me. About 7 minutes later I was at a full sprint running for the plane. Watch out for downdrafts coming off that hill that is behind the town. It gets me almost every time.

Thanks for the info. I hope to make June's tides, I am out of Fairbanks. ( I know, I know...... Dont tell me what Fred
    Meyers sells them for!!! It's just something I've always wanted to do.

I got a set of 8:50's that will need replacing this season and just struggling on making the discision on the just replacing with the same or upgrading to 29" abw's.

I did the 29 Airstreaks, and I couldn't be happier.

Are they on 10"
    wheels?

Ya, they come with a 6" to 10" wheel adapter kit. I ended up going with these over the ABWs for the tread and cost.

What do you guys think about landing my Cessna 150 on the beach? I flew down that way last month and I thought the sand between the mud and land looked ok as long as I stay light, but I didn't roll wheels on it. I might try going down there for the june low tides and see what kind of tracks the other planes have been leaving in the sand.

I was with a 172 LOADED last time I was there. It sank into the mud because he got into the soft stuff, and the tricycle didn't help. The nose actually was the start of the problem in his case. He is a super experienced guy, so I am not sure what he was thinking. I guess he just got into the moment and let the weight down on the nose.

My advice is go where the other guys are, pick a channel that will give you enough length to get back up after you get your fill. Keep the weight off that nose as long as you can, both for take off and landing. If possible, go with a partner in a second plane so if you do get into trouble you can get out. There are Cherokees and other 172s there when I go too, so it should be fine. Just look for tracks like you said and do a drag in landing first, make sure it isn't soft.

Ok thanks 907. My past experience has been that I can go solo anywhere a 172 can go with 2 people in it without any problems. I just can't haul as much. If I keep the nose strut inflated to keep the weight back on the mains, let a little air out of the tires to give them a little more surface area, and roll a few times before I commit, I should be able to do it. Is the sand on the beach harder than the flats or are they about the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast