Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai Brown Bear Registration Hunt

Angry Kenai Brown Bear Registration Hunt

Well, I finally am granted a miracle DB309 drawing permit for 2012-2013 Kenai Brown Bear and the State opens a registration hunt starting October 1st. Wish They had advertised this prior to the many of us who paid for a drawing. I picked up the change at the Sportsman's show last weekend. At least those of us with a draw permit get a two week head start. Not that I'm complaining about thinning out the Browns, which is definitely a problem around here. Strange way to go about it. They must have had a high count from the hair/dna research done last year. I still haven't seen an announcement on their estimate, but it must be high in order to justify a registration hunt. Thin them out, boys and girls.

Mike

What, what, what?!?!? If so, I just figured out what my plans are in October. Man, I hope this is true...

Yep!!! I picked up a copy of the "summary of changes" adopted by the Alaska Board of Game for 2012-2013, effective July 1, 2012. I was walking away, reading the black bear and baiting changes and the next page had brown bear and caribou. I stopped walking and went back to the booth because it says "Units 7 and 15, fall 2012 drawing hunts will be held Sept 15-Nov 30. In addition, a new registration hunt in Units 7 and 15 will be held Oct 1-Nov 30. Spring 2013 drawing hunts will be held Apr 1-Jun 15. Beginning fall 2013, only the registration in Units 7 and 15 from Sept 15-Nov 30 and from Apr 1-Jun15th will be held." So much for how lucky I am. I asked the Fish and Game person manning the booth about it and they weren't too happy that they didn't hold this off until next season just because of those who went through the drawing process. Board of Game disagreed. Guess I'd better get out there early before lots and lots of hunters are there.

Mike

I knew this wouldn't be a secret for long but I was sure hoping! Oh well they do need thinned out. Good luck everyone!

I was up on the haul road several years ago.. Saw 6 grizz, could have easily shot 4 with my bow.. I know legally one.. But I had no tag and it was a DRAWING. So I went home with a truck load of caribou, and bers in the rear view mirror. Fast forward a couple months. So I put in for the drawing BD880 I think it was. Can't recall off my head.. Anyway, I draw it, family and I make plans. Head up on 8 aug.. Season was to open on the 10th. All spring and summer go by, 10 days before the season opens, they change it to open season or anyone.. And well send ou your 5 bucks back..

What about my other permits I put in or? , both Kodiak? This was 2 years ago.. Haven't put in for a drawing since.

The bear in my avatar came from up their in 04'

Well sorry about that for the guys that drew the permit, (I have been trying to help a friend get one right now who drew the permit last year), but personally I AM TICKLED AS A PIG IN SH*T...!!!

Maybe a wide long headed new record bear this year,it could happen
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I doubt they will have a registration hunt for the following spring as well, which would be included in your permit. This is actually a positive for you because you get to start Sept. 15th and you don't have the pressure of shooting one then, because if the quota doesn't get filled you could hunt the peninsula wide registration hunt, which should include Tustumena and Skilak areas. Then you will still get the following spring most likely to yourself (draw hunters) as well.

Don't get too excited guys as far as I know the quota of 10 reproductive female brown bear hasn't changed, so if the registration hunt is even available come October (determined by DLP's and the drawing season harvest) it will probably be like a few years ago where the season is open for 2 days and shut down. Hopefully some good numbers will come out of the feds bear fence study, but I am not optimistic (hopefully I will be proven wrong). I'm sure it will be more than 300, which is the estimate they go by now for managing on the KP, but I'm worried that it will still be on the lower end of population numbers.

Man this reg change just has to happen when I get a fall kodiak tag!!I bet some monsters will get pulled out,wish I could hunt it this year!!

Mike, I drew that tag too for next season. Go figure huh. Well at least we do get a headstart.

I've heard from a member of the local board that the new number is 1000 brownies on the pen.

sorry for the competition, but this is too cool! Best idea I ever heard.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    Don't get too excited guys as far as I know the quota of 10 reproductive female brown bear hasn't changed, so if the registration hunt is even available come October (determined by DLP's and the drawing season harvest) it will probably be like a few years ago where the season is open for 2 days and shut down.
    Man I hope that's not the case this time. If it is then I say to them.....why bother...???!!!

Does anybody have a link??

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Man this reg change just has to happen when I get a fall kodiak tag!!I bet some monsters will get pulled out,wish I could hunt it this year!!

Be glad for what you have, and not envious of what others may get.

I'll gladly take that Kodiak burden off your hands
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Man I hope that's not the case this time. If it is then I say to them.....why bother...???!!!
    Like I said I hope some good numbers come out of the federal bear fence study and when those numbers come out hopefully it will lead to a change in the quota. As of right now 10 reproductive female brown bears is what they go by and once that get's hit or is close to getting hit (for example 9) the hunt can get shut down.

All I've heard is rumors on the count of brown bears from the study and if it truly is 1000 that would be great. I honestly think it is more than that, but managing by 1000 will allow for a lot more hunting opportunities than managing by 300. If a registration hunt does happen and it is one bear every 4 years then I'm doing like Kotton suggested and going trophy hunting. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Tustumena bench/Skilak lake area had a higher density brown bear population than Kodiak Island.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Tustumena bench/Skilak lake area had a higher density brown bear population than Kodiak Island.

I will wager my life that the ratio of adult Brown Bears on the Kenai is multiples higher than the ratio of adult bears we saw the last 10 days on Uganik Island/Terror Bay area, where only one of 16 bears was NOT a Sub-Adult.

I know some guys who baited near Cooper Lake 3-4 years ago, they swear they got pictures of 30-35 different brown bear on their bait.
    If the 300 number was true then more than 10% of all the browns on the Kenai visited their bait.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I know some guys who baited near Cooper Lake 3-4 years ago, they swear they got pictures of 30-35 different brown bear on their bait.
    If the 300 number was true then more than 10% of all the browns on the Kenai visited their bait.

Haha. My neighbor had a bait off Swanson River and back a ways. He would sleep out there. Didn't get a black bear. Brown bears were in there like flies. Couldn't keep them off. He gave up and won't go again this year.

Mike

This is where you can get the information. It looks like it is a PDF file, but comes in as a Word doc.

ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME DIVISION OF ...

www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/.../cf/124626029.pdf
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Apr 25, 2012 – 2012 Southeast Alaska Shrimp. Beam Trawl Announcement page 1. April 25 ... Douglas. . . The Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) announced today that the 2012/2013 ... July 1 - August 31, 2012. X. X. X. X .... news release providing notification of the effective date of this regulatory change.

Here is the top half of the second page:

BROWNBEAR
    Units 7 and 15,fall 2012 drawing hunts will be held Sept. 15- Nov. 30. In addition, a new registrationhunt in Units 7 and 15 will be held Oct. 1-Nov. 30. Spring 2013 drawing hunts willbe held Apr.1-June 15. Beginning fall2013, only the registration in Units 7 and 15 from Sept. 15- Nov. 30 and fromApr. 1-June 15th will be held.
    Unit 18,remove the resident tag fee requirement.
    Unit 20B, the drainage of theMiddle Fork of the Chena River, and that portion of the Salcha River drainageupstream from and including Goose Creek, lengthen season toAug 10 – June 30.
    Unit 21D,allow brown bears to be taken at bait stations during open black bear baitingseasons with a bear baiting permit beginning fall 2012. The same restrictions that apply to blackbear baiting apply to brown bear baiting. The edible meat of brown bears taken in these units over bait must besalvaged.
    Unit 22C, lengthenthe brown bear spring season to May1 - May 31.
    Unit 25D,change resident bag limit to 2 bears.
    Unit 26A,remove the resident tag fee requirement.
    Unit 26B,expand the resident registration hunt to all of 26B change season to Aug 25 –May 31. Convert nonresident registrationhunt to drawing and include all of 26B season dates Aug 25 – May 31.

Mike

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast