Thread: got bugs ?

Question got bugs ?

coming up there late june thru august what can we expect in the way of insects, your skeeters have a big rep and probably deserve it

Not sure what area you are heading to, but you can count on just about any and everything. Skeeters, black flies, white socks. Really depends on where you are heading and the terrain where you are. If you are going to be around the swamps the skeeters will carry you off! EricL

Talking Bug Dope

Bug dope, bring lots of bug dope! Oh yeah, and don't let the atv go any slower than 15mph, that'll pretty much keep them off of you.

Ah, the state bird. Now just why would you want to avoid them?

Default Mosquitoes

Most places in Alaska late June would be peak mosquitoe season. Costal areas more gnats (or noseeums), which are probably worse. You want DEET, the more the better. Don't fall for mamby pamby "natural insect repellents." A clever marketing ploy by the bugs themselves.

Default Head Net

As silly as these things may look, feel or make you feel like a wussy. Have one for each person. As evening sets in, the breeze dies, the sun cools and then the little blood suckers may take you over or at least take your sanity. They are great to have for around camp when visibility etc. isn't quite as necessary.

I went on a float in June two years ago (Mid to late June is some of the worst in my experience) and was the only one with a bug jacket with headnet.....the "Tough Guys" that scoffed at my bugjacket on Monday....nearly mugged me for it by Thursday. And guess who got to wash all the dishes......, So bring one, I consider it like waterproof matches and a spaceblanket etc. It may not save your life but it will save your sanity.

I never go more than 33 percent deet. I haven't seen these higher concentrations work any better. I used to always run the 95 percent stuff but when "forced" to use less concentrated stuff due to supply, I found it worked just fine. Plus, the 95 percent stuff will melt most anything it touches.

Default archives

You might want to check out this thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=deet

Here are two photos I took last year on July 9, about 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon. The location is Southwest Alaska, about 26 miles below Bethel on the Kuskokwim River.

Those dark smudges? They are clouds of mosquitoes, and yes, we could hear them while sitting in the boat with the motor off.