Thread: Looking for More Drift Boat Rivers.

Default Looking for More Drift Boat Rivers.

Looking for drift boat rivers north of anchorage, launches and take outs. We like to fish for all species Kings to Bows. Day trips to overnighters. We have fished the Gulkana and are looking for more. Pms are welcome to thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Looking for drift boat rivers north of anchorage, launches and take outs. We like to fish for all species Kings to Bows. Day trips to overnighters. We have fished the Gulkana and are looking for more. Pms are welcome to thanks
    Well there are a grand total of 4 maybe 5 rivers you can fish with a driftboat in Alaska The Keani, The Kasilof, The Gulkana, and willow creek, maybe the Chena in Fairbank, maybe Delta Clearwater from Tangle River. I'd suggest trading it in for a raft...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Drift rivers

You can also drift the Little Su and Little Willow. Mahays will load your drift boat on back of one of thier big inboard jets and run you up the Talkeetna too. May be able to do the Deshka from the Petersville road to the mouth and have a riverboat service get you back to Deshka Landing.

Just a few ideas.

Curt

Default more drift boat rivers.

[quote=Coach_curt;88463]. Mahays will load your drift boat on back of one of thier big inboard jets and run you up the Talkeetna too..

Hey Coach_ That sounds like fun I will call them. Little Willow iv seen on a map.... How's the pullout ? Were's the pullout ? Any one have any pic's ?thanks

Lots of em around the state ... even seen several around Hyder as well. If it's possible to get it there, there isn't much a raft offers over a drifter

Except for the whole "not sinking" thing...and the "how to strap them to the side of a floatplane" thing....and the "how many guys does it take to get it around a logjam?", thing and the "class III-IV whitewater for three miles through a canyon", thing and the "how do I get 900 pounds of gear in here without it sinking?" thing.
    haha Just giving you a hard time. If possible, I'd take a drifter over a raft any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach_curt View Post
    You can also drift the Little Su and Little Willow. Mahays will load your drift boat on back of one of thier big inboard jets and run you up the Talkeetna too. May be able to do the Deshka from the Petersville road to the mouth and have a riverboat service get you back to Deshka Landing.

Just a few ideas.

Curt
    True I forgot about those.

[quote=fishook;88490]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_curt View Post
    . Mahays will load your drift boat on back of one of thier big inboard jets and run you up the Talkeetna too..

Hey Coach_ That sounds like fun I will call them. Little Willow iv seen on a map.... How's the pullout ? Were's the pullout ? Any one have any pic's ?thanks

I believe the take out is just down stream of the willow creek mouth I've heard theres a trail just before you get to the campground or something... Otherwise its deshka landing or a long carry up from the willow creek raft take out.

As for comfortable fishing, driftboats rule but in Alaska I'll take a raft any day, unless of course I just have fiberglass and plywood.

If you float the Willow, there is a takeout on a small spur close to the mouth. If you miss it you will float past all the fishermen at the mouth of the Willow. You will abslolutely know if you did this It is possible if you don't go past the people to make your way back up the small slew to the takeout but it won't be fun. As for the Little Willow you will also float past the same fishermen at the mouth of the Willow. Just below all those fishermen there is an 8'+ tall cutbank on the left side. 200yds or so downstream (near the end of the cutbank) there is a pullout. Be prepared to take out there as the current can be very strong in this area. Stay left! If you miss this uhhhh.......well stay left and I hope you hit Deshka landing The lower takeout is accessed from the Willow Campground. If you go through the gate stay to the left and it will take you straight to the takeout. Otherwise if you hit the correct takeout from the Willow take a right after going through the gate and you will find it.

Default great info.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    If you float the Willow, there is a takeout on a small spur close to the mouth. If you miss it you will float past all the fishermen at the mouth of the Willow. You will abslolutely know if you did this It is possible if you don't go past the people to make your way back up the small slew to the takeout but it won't be fun. As for the Little Willow you will also float past the same fishermen at the mouth of the Willow. Just below all those fishermen there is an 8'+ tall cutbank on the left side. 200yds or so downstream (near the end of the cutbank) there is a pullout. Be prepared to take out there as the current can be very strong in this area. Stay left! If you miss this uhhhh.......well stay left and I hope you hit Deshka landing The lower takeout is accessed from the Willow Campground. If you go through the gate stay to the left and it will take you straight to the takeout. Otherwise if you hit the correct takeout from the Willow take a right after going through the gate and you will find it.
    Thanks BigHorn
    Sounds fun not imposable but will look for experience to take with me, It sounds like i wouldnt want to miss the take/out below the cut bank, does it have a name.. How long of a float is the willow.?

Smile Chase Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    Lots of em around the state ... even seen several around Hyder as well. If it's possible to get it there, there isn't much a raft offers over a drifter

Say I would love to be your chase vehicle on a trip like that. Please PM me if I can help out ...

Thanks BigHorn
    Sounds fun not imposable but will look for experience to take with me, It sounds like i wouldnt want to miss the take/out below the cut bank, does it have a name.. How long of a float is the willow.?
    From the bridge to the mouth is about 4 hours depending on water conditions, be careful once the river splits, it gets really tight. Do not try upper willow in a drift boat unless you have superhuman stregth, too many log jams etc.

Thanks BigHorn
    Its not impossible. Hope I didn't make it sound to bad, there are quite a few people that float the willow. If you follow them you should have no problems. I don't remember exactly how long it took but 4 hrs probably includes fishing. Doesn't seem like its that far. As the crow flies maybe 6 miles. Worst part aside from a tipover we had several years ago was the logjam. Around a curve to the left and through the shoot. If you've floated you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't get a 16' cataraft in the logjam sideways Both takeouts are in the Willow State Campground. The one on the Willow is developed and the other is not developed but its usable. If you have gotten Google Earth type in "willow creek parkway alaska" and you will be able to get an arial view that may be helpfull.