Thread: Grayling Fishing

Default Grayling Fishing

I need some help and advice on where to take my family out fishing for mainly grayling or even stumble on some trout. I will be taking my wife, and kids out this weekend (May 12th or 13th) for some spring time fishing. Some of my kids are young so we are limited on how far we can walk and where we can stand to fish. We are located in Anchorage so we would like to try and stay within an hour drive. We donít have a boat, so this will be all shore fishing. I do have a 4x4 truck so I am able to make it down roads if they still have some snow on them; however, I am not looking to scratch up the truck. My daughters and I have never caught a grayling, so that is the main species of fish that we are going to target. If there is any advice on where to go, and what to use to catch some of these beautiful fish, would be a huge help. We are a firm believer of catch and release, so we will not be keeping any of our catch. Thanks in advance for the help.
    JT

There are quite a few streams north of Wasilla - Montana, Sheep, ect.

You might need to expand the 1 hour drive to get to the fishing

Hike into Crescent Lake. Maybe have the good folks at Scenic Mountain Air fly you into one of the Paradise Lakes with cabin, boat, etc.. Many good options near you. Been wanting to see some of these places myself. Everything I have heard suggest they are very family friendly grayling fishing options. Do a bit of digging and see if you don't agree.

-Dan

Dan I agree that would be a nice place to take the family ,but don't think it would work very well for this coming weekend. Wasilla lake hasn't even dump her ice yet. I would try the streams north of Wasilla as your best bet on the date you want to go.

I don't have regs in front of me but Crescent used to be closed until the first of July (?). ADF&G could make quite a few coin monitoring the Crescent outfall nabbing people blatantly harrassing those fish on the beds.

Reading the whole post would have helped

As stated above, it appears July 1st marks beginning of fishing season at the lake.

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Refe...cretspots.html

If you go out the Glenn Hwy about 80 miles, there is a lake right on the road called "Wiener" Lake. I haven't fished it in years, but it used to have Grayling in it. It's a little out of your radius, but well worth the scenic drive. I doubt the ice is all the way out yet, but you could might be able to fish the edges.

Also, IIRC either Canoe or Irene lake has Grayling stocked. Those are right in the valley. Check the list in the regs to find out which lakes got stocked with what.

Its canoe lake thats stocked with grayling, but shore fishing is virtually nil.

Canoe lake in the valley does have grayling in it. You can shore fish it. I have done it and caught some fish. I usually float tube this lake but have and have seen many people shore fish with good success. I haven't been there this year so I couldn't tell you if it is still locked up. The edges could be fishable.

Canoe lake was all open on Sunday

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will try some of the streams north of Willow first and then if no luck we will head down to Canoe lake. I hope my girls will hook up into some grayling so they can mark that off their bucket list. Once again thank you guys for your help.

JT

Drove by Weiner lake yesterday. Still frozen but the ice was looking pretty rotten. Long Lake was open in a small portion by the boat launch. Canoe lake does have some limited shore fishing but it would be much better to fish it from a boat.

Thanks for all the help guys. I went to Canoe lake first and the lake was thawed out however it there was not much room for the kids to fish so we left and headed up to the streams notrh of Wasilla and ended up putting the kids on some grayling and I even ended up catching a nice 18" graylilng. I also hooked what I think was a king but I did not get eyes on so I can't say for sure. I do know that my light weight rod with 6lb test line was not going to pull it in. Thanks again for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Angler View Post
    I also hooked what I think was a king but I did not get eyes on so I can't say for sure. I do know that my light weight rod with 6lb test line was not going to pull it in.
    Interesting... I've never fished in this area and anyone feel free to correct me but I don't think there are kings in those rivers yet,. So... hmm.... what do you guys think he hooked into?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Interesting... I've never fished in this area and anyone feel free to correct me but I don't think there are kings in those rivers yet,. So... hmm.... what do you guys think he hooked into?
    he didn't say where he hooked the king, we don't know where he was, but there is places that have kings in the rivers right now, they might only have a few, but they are there.

I bet there are a few kings in deshka by now. But If he was fishing on the parks I would think it was probably a big rainbow. There are some monsters up there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I was stripped of 6# line last friday on the parks! Thought it was a big 'bow in the current, starting to think now "could it have been?' Did get a couple 12"-14" bows.