Thread: PWS Herring

Default PWS Herring

Anyone want to give me some guidance on catching early season herring in western PWS? I have caught them later in the season outside the Whittier harbor, but I don't think this happens until the processors get going. If you want to pm me with info that is fine as posting here. I promise not to catch them all. I have a subiki rod and setup, and would like to start getting more fresh herring on the way out. One would think upper and lower herring bay would be good spots, but I have not had any luck there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The only place I ever caught any was right outside the harbor, and that was just a few of them one day while goofing off waiting for the traffic jam in the harbor to clear.

In the past guys have said look for birds and start fishing, I saw several groups of gulls feeding and thought about stopping this weekend, but when I found my rig is was all knotted up and it was pouring down rain... maybe next time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I saw what appeared to be 200 herring [don't think they were hooligan] hanging out under the docks [just below the Harbormasters office] in Whittier weekend before last. Not sure if that helps but I was wishing I had my cast net and it was okay to fish from the docks. They'd have been easy pickin's. There's a sign there that says no fishing from the docks.

They were there in the same place this weekend too. Was contemplating making some kind of makeshift sabiki rig to hook'em, but lost interest figuring my 2/0's were a little on the big side for 4-inch herring.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    I saw what appeared to be 200 herring [don't think they were hooligan] hanging out under the docks [just below the Harbormasters office] in Whittier weekend before last. Not sure if that helps but I was wishing I had my cast net and it was okay to fish from the docks. They'd have been easy pickin's. There's a sign there that says no fishing from the docks.

Interesting, I have fished the harbor quite a few times while waiting around the docks, never seen herring. I did see a school of sandlance (much skinnier) of which I caught a few for bait, that was neat as I'd never seen them in the water before.