Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lure/Jig/Halibut Rig Storage

Default Lure/Jig/Halibut Rig Storage

What are you guys using for storage on your boats during a day of fishing? I've always tossed rigs and such in the gunnel trays and hate having such a mess. Are there any other cool ideas on how to keep things somewhat organized or less messy on the boat?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I use a small paint bucket with holes drilled around the circumference of the top and hang my jigs from those holes.

I keep my weights and halibut triangular terminal tackle in a shallow rectangular black Sears tool box.

5 gal bucket. Keep my jigs around rim and in middle of bucket i keep all rubber tails.
    one stop shopping!!!!!!

Halibut weights I use those green ammo cans.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I hate the mess too, but have finally come full circle back to the clear plastic Plano trays. I mostly use the big ones with rigid dividers. These I keep a plastic storage tote, which helps keep things dry between trips. I haven't installed them yet, but I picked up a couple of the three-rod version of this rod rack for the boat. I'm betting the holes for lure hanging are going to be real handy, along with the slots for knife and pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I hate the mess too, but have finally come full circle back to the clear plastic Plano trays. I mostly use the big ones with rigid dividers. These I keep a plastic storage tote, which helps keep things dry between trips. I haven't installed them yet, but I picked up a couple of the three-rod version of this rod rack for the boat. I'm betting the holes for lure hanging are going to be real handy, along with the slots for knife and pliers.
    I've got the plastic version of that rod rack and it is nice always knowing where the pliers and bait knife are!!!
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    I've got the plastic version of that rod rack and it is nice always knowing where the pliers and bait knife are!!!
    Good to hear since I already bought the stainless! On my last boat I had plastic rod racks that finally started breaking after years in the sun, so I was leery to go with plastic this time. Glad to know the concept works well, and I thank you!

The bucket or paint can sounds like a plan. Right now I'm using the HD plano divider boxes for storage when I'm not out, but the bucket is much better idea while fishing.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Also what I do is put each color curly tail in tere on zip lock bag. Also have a light in a small bag to.
    Helps to melt beat up grubs back to semi normal.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Another vote for the 5 gallon bucket. I have a variety of lead heads and metal jigs arrayed around the bucket, as well as hook puller. I put my halibut sinkers and rigs in the bottom of the bucket which keeps it from tipping over.

Another tip that is a huge time saver is to have a selection of corkscrew swivels on hand, I keep about 1/2 dozen on a small loop of line by my pot pulling davit. That way when I break off a jig, I real up and put another corkscrew swivel on with a palomar in less than a minute, new jig on and back to fishing. The other optiion that I might try this year is tieng the corkscrew swivels on a small topshot of mono, and having a bead pre-strung. The beeds keep you from damaging the ceramic insert in your rod tip by cranking the corkscrew swivel all the way up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Another tip that is a huge time saver is to have a selection of corkscrew swivels on hand
    Agreed. I love those things and go through a bunch of them in pre-rigging my trolling gear too.

Only wish I could find them cheap in packs of 100 rather than buying them a few at time on those silly little cards.

You can buy them in bulk from B&J commercial, I usually buy a dozen every time I'm there just to have more stashed here and there around the boat. I think the 2/0's are $.25 each.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Maybe alaskapiranha will post a photo of his set up. Looked like a wire closet rack .Worked like a charm on his boat
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You can buy them in bulk from B&J commercial, I usually buy a dozen every time I'm there just to have more stashed here and there around the boat. I think the 2/0's are $.25 each.
    Thanks. Didn't think to stop there as I passed through Anchorage last week. I'll send an friend.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Thanks. Didn't think to stop there as I passed through Anchorage last week. I'll send an friend.
    Yep, they have 100ct. bags in all sizes.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I do things a bit different because of the boat design and available space...not to say I don`t have stupid amounts of tackle with me at all times though!

For lead head jigs and tools I use a 2ish gallon bucket (old ice melt bucket) with threaded rod going across. One side gets the jigs/lures, and the other side gets the tools like hook remover, lip gripper, knives, bat, etc. I also have another stacked underneath that is drilled for trolling when I want to slow down to about 1.8 mph, and yet another regular one for bailing, wash down, shrimp, etc. Nice thing is they all stack so they only occupy one square foot of space and do all the jobs I require. The tackle bucket helps keep those jigs from getting the best of my inflatable during heavy seas banging around and also for fast/easy access.

Sorry for the cell pics...

For general tackle storage I have a large tote with a normal box and 2 Plano large boxes. It just so happens (well I admit this was the plan) that this tote is the same as my shrimping gear so that they all stack when the gear is in the water leaving me all the room possible while fishing. There is enough room for other things on top of the tackle for storage as well.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

That's the same type of tote I use in various sizes. Like you, I first tried them from my 13' Achilles, and keep going bigger as my boats and gear needs grow. Kinda nice to have one for halibut and one for salmon and one for lunch, all stacked nice and tidy in one corner of the deck.

Jigs and halibut rigs I keep in seperate gallon ziploc bags (coil and twisty tie the halibut rigs) I keep a half dozen or so rigs in a bag. weights go into a small hard plastic bucket. My boat is fiberglass so I tendd to be conscious of things that can leave rust stains like ammo boxes and steel rods.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

My knives I cut the top of a milk jug and keep them there.
    I keep my bucket in my upper fish box. I also have another bucket with my shrimp bait
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    What are you guys using for storage on your boats during a day of fishing? I've always tossed rigs and such in the gunnel trays and hate having such a mess. Are there any other cool ideas on how to keep things somewhat organized or less messy on the boat?
    Not as far as I'm concerned. I'm with you. A totally disorganized and messy gunnel tray is, to me, the mark of a true fisherman. A boat is like a dog to me---my favorites are shaggy, ragtag, mutts that only their owner can love. I'm a firm believer in organized chaos.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

A lot of times, when fishing in Seward for silvers, I find it hard to keep things organized when the fishing is hot, but it doesn't bother me one bit Most of the time though I keep things well organized. Jigs and cod sinkers go in a 3 gallon bucket, sinkers in the bottom and jigs hanging on the rim. I keep all my hoochies, mooching rigs, or anything else with a leader attached to it on a tackle buddy. And everything else goes in tackle trays.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast