Thread: Same day flight n float?

Default Same day flight n float?

Curious if you float'n vets start floating when the plane lands or do you wait til the following day to keep from having to pass on game?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thats a loaded question. It really just depends on several factors. I would say most wait. If you have a long float you may get started, sort on time, drop off area isn't the type of area that you want to hunt, have a specific spot you want to hunt, amount of traffic the area has.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I personally feel it depends on where you land- If there is a better camp site down river I blow up the rafts ,head down river, set up camp at the best spot, cook a good meal, kick back and plan what's next in the morning. Killing an animal is just part of the float trip. Of course if you see a nice Moose flying in near your landing- would hole up until the next morning.
    Just the way I do it.
    Goo

the biggest question you need to answer (with your pilot's help perhaps) is whether the river drop you're using is a popular drop off for other air operators. If so, I usually recommend my groups to scout the river coming upstream by air for at least 5 miles or so if weather and time permit. If no other folks are downstream in the vicinity and the river is a popular float option, those groups usually opt to inflate the raft and load up, float a few miles downstream to give themselves a buffer if another group gets dropped on top of them.

If in a remote spot with no likely chance of visitors, check water levels and difficulties ahead before deciding. If low water or portages are expected and the day is early...maybe a head start to get beyond and onto floatable channels is smart.

If all else seems questionable, play it by ear and see what the critter pops are like around the drop off. you'll have to make these decisions when you hit the ground.

like the experts already said, it really depends on many factors.

larry

Solid tips. Thanks fellas.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If the spot I am dropped on offers good hunting I stick for a few days. The only time I would move on is if I was pressed for time of the drop zone was a poor hunting spot-no hills for spotting kind of thing.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    unit 23