Thread: GPS

Default GPS

Since the SportJon has limited dash space, I'll probably be going with a single unit for both depth finder and GPS. The boat will be mainly used for river running, but will see some coastal saltwater too, PWS, Kackemak Bay, Cook inlet. I want a unit with a high-speed transducer, good map capability (inland waterways) and probably BlueChart, from what I'm reading, so Garmin is probably the way to go? Which one though? I'd like to keep the cost down too, as much as possibly without being limited to junk.

Suggestions?

If you can live with black and white, the discontinued garmin 178 can be had NIB very reasonably ~$250. The new color 178C is running about $500 and change including the transducer.

Paul, are those BlueChart and MapSource capable?

Yes, bluechart capable. http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap178s/

I'm thinking about getting one of the color units, as to me the color is worth the extra expense for use in the saltwater. The best price I've found for the 178c external antenna with the dual freq transducer is ~$530.

Looks like about what I had in mind. Do you know anything about the map quality and detail for Interior lakes and rivers, or if those can be loaded from PC?

The garmin bluechart maps that I have don't even go as far north as Cantwell. There might be another mapset but it won't include Southcentral AK. I didn't purchase the bluechart maps for river use but I beleive they are more orientated towards the saltwater. I could be wrong. I have used the Garmin Topo maps as well and they give you an idea where you are on the rivers but at times show you going through a hill. I wouldn't plan on using it for much more than a general idea of your location, maybe coupled with a good map you would be covered. It also appears that you can't upload topo and bluechart maps on the same memory card. Anyone know for sure?

Yeah, I didn't think the BlueCharts cover anything except saltwater. The 178c also has something for recreational lakes (MapSource?). I'm wondering if it's compatible with the rest of MapSource, so I could have detailed topo maps of the area, not just the ocean and lakes. I can carry along a Gazetteer and my handheld GPS with rough maps uploaded from my old version of MapSend Topo (Magellan) and figure things out from there, but it'd be niice to have it all available in the one unit.

I just read the reply to Ernie's question. Apparently it will work with the topo maps too. Thanks.

I have the gps map 498C sounder, and I really like it.