Thread: Flowscan on RiverRunner

Default Flowscan on RiverRunner

Went for my first run today and tried out my new gadget. Averaged 8.5 GPH running 27mph with a 21' Hughes Craft RiverRunner with a 351W H.O. and AT309 jet. uploadfromtaptalk1336351397641.jpg
    Total run showed 10.1 gallons, but the fuel gauge was still reading full. Might have to adjust the calibration when I run through this tank and compare the actual fuel used.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thats pretty good fuel economy running at 27 in a jet IMHO. I put a new garmin plotter/sounder in my 21 with a GFS 10 sensor this winter but I havent had the chance to take it out yet to check it out. Im hoping to find that sweet spot and save some gas this year

How did you calibrate it on only one run? I had to make 3 runs and see if the gallons flow meter said I burned was the same as I did burn.
    If I had know how much better flow metters where than level gage I would of not made a new hole in dash for it.

I have been looking at these for the last few days as I am starting to plan some longer trips this season. Looks like about $300 for a single outboard setup. I bet it would pay for itself in less than a year in gas savings + the peace of mind regarding range is something you can't put a price tag on.

No calibration yet, hoping that the factory settings were close. I topped off my fuel tank so I should have a pretty good idea where it's at once this tank gets low. I like the usage counter, once it's calibrated I will know within .1 gallons how much fuel I have left. The level gauges are not even accurate to within 15 gallons +/-.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Default works great

I dialed my flowscan in using the little dip switches after two fill ups.
    It now reads accurately within a 1/2 gallon on a 30 or 40 gallon fill up.
    This is within the +/- 2 percent accuracy you can expect from these gages.
    It is one of the most important things on my boat.
    Know almost exactly how much gas I have left.
    You could also tell of pending engine trouble if you have noticable change in gpm v.s. rpm for a given load/conditions.

The tank mount gages are almost useless when you consider how the boat is not level when running, and the tanks are so shallow and skinny that any tilt at all will greatly affect how they read.

What He Said!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

You cant go off the factory setting. You have to calibrate it with a known fuel amount and burn. Like said before, it takes about 3 fill ups or top off to be right. This is the part of the installation you do not want to skimp. If your flow meter is wrong than what good is it? I paid about $600 bucks for mine and think it is the best investment I have made so far on the boat. I also have the totalizer that I think is more valuable than the flow rate IMHO. I run a 21' T-jet with the 350 and 212 and run righ at 7.5-8.5 gph at 35 mph onthe big su.

I'm not so sure I like watching my fuel usage in real time. Before I would just fill it up every other trip. Now I'm watching the gallons increment and constantly converting it to dollars as I head down the river. Gotta pay to play, but fuel costing a lot more this year.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"