Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Anyone Flying to Valdez

  1. #1
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default Anyone Flying to Valdez

    Is anyone flying over to Valdez next weekend? Just wondering if anyone wanted to join me. Going to be headed over from Birchwood Friday morning weather permitting.

    Drew
    (I'll be in the Champ in the avatar)
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  2. #2
    Member Arcticmayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I still haven't decided what I am going to do yet. If I have enough money, I will head that way Friday afternoon from Anderson Lake and enter the competition and poker run. If the funds are low (the most likely scenario) I will try to fly over Saturday morning to watch the competition and fly back in the evening. I will be flying the over water route, in my Cessna 150.

  3. #3
    Member High Country's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Just an FYI to folks that are heading to Valdez, Eureka still has about 16 inches of snow on the strip. I know itís a popular place to stop for pilots go to or returning from Valdez.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Further more, the forcast does not look promising. Of course, we're still a little far out but the weather cams showed fresh snow in Valdez this morning.
    ALSO, I spoke with all of the 100LL carriers in Valdez last week, despite the advertising, there will be NO fuel available at the field. ERA has not certified their LL pumps and do not intend too.

  5. #5
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Blackwatch
    I thought Crowley was going to cover the 100LL. Era requested they be there to cover the Fly In.

    Still looking at the WX picture. If possible I'd like to climb high and go direct from Birchwood but I will likely take the over water track.

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  6. #6
    Member Arcticmayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    If possible I'd like to climb high and go direct from Birchwood but I will likely take the over water track.
    I thought that was the over water track? I usually hit 6-7k up the Knik and over the Colony glacier. From there it is a pretty straight shot to Valdez.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Drew I am thinking about going over weather permitting. I would hope Crowley will get some fuel over there!

  8. #8
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    I thought that was the over water track? I usually hit 6-7k up the Knik and over the Colony glacier. From there it is a pretty straight shot to Valdez.
    To me the over water track is down to Whittier and then along the coast

    Tim
    I'll send you a PM
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  9. #9
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Forecast for Friday morning doesn't look so good. Looks like it may clear a bit in the afternoon but still a ways out to make the call.

    Mayhem are you still looking to go direct?
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  10. #10
    Member Arcticmayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Yeah, I will have to make that decision Saturday morning. If the weather looks good enough, then I will go up the knik/colony glacier. Otherwise I will probably just go flying locally. I only have enough $ to fill the tanks once and I don't have the range to go round trip the long way.

    Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Prog charts are not looking good for this weekend!
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  12. #12
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Well looks like a weather cancel for me! Good luck to anyone pushing through!

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  13. #13
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    t,

    Can u fly straight thru? Whats your range?

    Just got off the phone with the pilot that usually does the Hitchenbrooke Island set up. I helped him in 2009. He has been weathered in the last few days.

    I'd go with ya as a drone bee. not interested in the Fly-In itself tho.,

    Let me know ifn ya decide to go and when.

    RR

  14. #14
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Look at the web cams...Get a briefing and determine how low the cloud base is. Draw a profile of the route and see if the terrain profile is below the bottom of the estimated cloud level. Ifn it is, go to Cantwell and then Glenallen and then head south.

    RR

  15. #15
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    See that is what pisses me off. We spend billions on the military and the "child left behind",...yet the **** FAA cant tell me and you, who pay there **** salaries,where the bottom of the cloud base is from ANC to Valdez.

    I betcha they can from ATL to Wash.

    I used to chant "death to all mosquitoes"....now I say "death to all Gov programs..." Ha!?

    RR

  16. #16
    Member Arcticmayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    154

    Default

    The wind is going to have to calm down a bit if I am going to fly Saturday. Driving in to work and back today, crossing the hay flats it was blowing hard and there was a wall of white up the Knik. If the ceiling is 5-6k, I can go over the top of Colony no problem. I like to fly at least 4k going over the water, especially with only 20 hours on my new engine. I am so glad to have the web cams available to see what the weather is doing before I launch and even in flight with my phone.

  17. #17
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Wink

    Toddler and Valdez bound folk.

    ..I think Bill left Soldotna for Valdez. I cant get him on the phone.

    His preferred route wld be thru Whittier but he's in the air so no contact.

    Please fly safely and eat a hotdog for me Ha!

    Justa heads-up for ya.

    Rick

  18. #18
    Member Toddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    556

    Default

    Just got of the phone with one of our pilots who brought an AStar from Valdez back to ANC about 30 min ago. His word was the northern track was open. Just follow the road. I called FAA and got a quickie brief and the briefer told me the pass was not recommended for IFR due to the WX cam. I looked at the cam and the reason it is not recommended for IFR is because the cam has snow on the lens or is buried and you can't see. ***O!!!

    Reconstituting everything I turned off this morning and trying to launch out of Birchwood before 2PM.

    Mayhem - Can you make it to Gulkana get gas there and then proceed to Valdez? By my rough math that looks like about a 200 nm trip.

    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

    Scott Adams

  19. #19
    Member Arcticmayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Good luck Toddler, the wind was supposed to start tapering off soon and that means the turbulence should be doing the same. As long as there is a little wind, Thompson pass usually has a small hole open that you can squeeze through but don't push it. I don't want to see you in the news.

    I could go the northern route no problem without stopping for fuel, but I don't have the money to buy gas, especially at Valdez prices. I have about 30 gallons in the fuel drum so I can fill the tanks here and that gives me 3.5 hours and 350 miles of range at 100 mph. From here to Valdez is 130 SM over the water. It is about 220 SM going the long way. My 2 year old son is going with me, and I want this to be a good experience for him. 5 hours of flying in one day is just to much for him, but I think he would do fine with 1.5 each way. I am also going to be really conservative with the weather because of him. I will see how it looks tomorrow.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    See that is what pisses me off. We spend billions on the military and the "child left behind",...yet the **** FAA cant tell me and you, who pay there **** salaries,where the bottom of the cloud base is from ANC to Valdez.

    I betcha they can from ATL to Wash.

    I used to chant "death to all mosquitoes"....now I say "death to all Gov programs..." Ha!?

    RR
    If you can get both the temperature and the dew point, subtract the DP from the Temp, multiply by 1,000, and take 80-percent of that. This will ALMOST ALWAYS give you the bottom of the first layer of cloud. Try it a few times to verify it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •