Thread: Online Oversize Permit?

Default Online Oversize Permit?

I am seeming to have problems locating the oversize permits that you can purchase online. Can someone who knows where it is please post a link.
    I did a search and I guess I am the first one who has posted this request!?
    Thats embarrassing

You have to create a user name in "My Alaska" if you have not already. I bought my permit Friday afternoon... good to go for 6 months time.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

JR2 how did you get a 6 month permit? When I get mine in person they tell me 1 month or 1 year is all that is sold, I must be getting bad info or not talking to the right person.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    JR2 how did you get a 6 month permit? When I get mine in person they tell me 1 month or 1 year is all that is sold, I must be getting bad info or not talking to the right person.
    I bought mine online and they have an option for 6 months. $300 and I am good until Nov 3.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks, I'm going to change the way I get a permit
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

They also sell 30-day permits for $75 and 3-day permits for $35. On the 3-day it is destination-specific, so you need to give them the "from" and "to" but that isn't a problem as who sets off on a tow not knowing where you're bound?

I'm pretty sure there is a 90-day permit option as well. I know for a fact they sold 90-day permits as recently as a couple years ago; haven't bought one the last couple so can't say with certainty that they're still available.

BTW they did do away with the Holiday restrictions and Hours of Darkness for loads between 8'0" and 10'6".

Last year they did away with the holiday restrictions and I don't recall seeing that listed on my permit any longer. The hours of darkness rule still applies, however if you put some lights on the widest part of the trailer and some reflective tape on wide part you are good to go. I have towed multiple times past the hours of darkness and never had a problem.

Here is a good hint if your buying a longer term permit, put the license plate of the trailer on the permit and do not put a truck plate. That way you can use the permit with any truck towing your trailer instead of a specific truck. Any doubts call the permit office, they have been noting but helpful when I called them.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Last year they did away with the holiday restrictions and I don't recall seeing that listed on my permit any longer. The hours of darkness rule still applies, however if you put some lights on the widest part of the trailer and some reflective tape on wide part you are good to go. I have towed multiple times past the hours of darkness and never had a problem.

Here is a good hint if your buying a longer term permit, put the license plate of the trailer on the permit and do not put a truck plate. That way you can use the permit with any truck towing your trailer instead of a specific truck. Any doubts call the permit office, they have been noting but helpful when I called them.

Great tip! Thanks

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/