Thread: Where to target shoot besides ranges?

Default Where to target shoot besides ranges?

Besides ranges, where can I go do some target shooting? I know the types of lands here in AK are heavily regulated. Went out to the Maud rd. extension the other day to do a little bit. Holy Cow! It's starting to look like a Rambo range with people starting to leave their garbage and casings. I live in Anchorage but just want to know if there is anywhere to shoot between here and Willow or here going the other way to Homer. A few weeks ago I drove down to the Portage Vally turnoff and turned down a little bumpy road to the right about a mile down and it looks like people are doing some shooting there but don't really know if it's legal to or not

You may have a hard time getting any location suggestions for just the reason you noted in your post. As soon as a good spot is announced in a public setting such as this forum, it ends up just like the Maud Rd. spot you talked about, gets trashed, then gets shut down.

Tip exactly why I gave up shooting at such places.
    Tired of the trash and old cars,appliances etc.
    I joined the snowshoe gun club here on the peninsula and I love it.
    Trap/skeet ranges a covered rifle shooting area with the ability to shoot out to 500 yds and several pistol/.22/archery ranges to @60-75yds.
    Unlimited use yearround plowed in winter. All for $80 a year. And you can bring guests.
    Well worth it for me.
    Heck that's less than $7 a month.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Tip exactly why I gave up shooting at such places.
    Tired of the trash and old cars,appliances etc.
    I joined the snowshoe gun club here on the peninsula and I love it.
    Trap/skeet ranges a covered rifle shooting area with the ability to shoot out to 500 yds and several pistol/.22/archery ranges to @60-75yds.
    Unlimited use yearround plowed in winter. All for $80 a year. And you can bring guests.
    Well worth it for me.
    Heck that's less than $7 a month.
    WOW. Nuthin as good as that around the Valley or Anch.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It would be nice if they actually developed the maud lake shooting area or added a range to the hatcher pass debacle they are working on.

I didn't see any appliances or old cars at Maud road. It was more of bottles and cans and a lot of empty casings. All the broken glass is what's gonna suck trying to clean up. When I left, I hauled back all my paper targets, casings, and about 8 garbage bags full of shot aluminum cans, buckets, and plastic bottles. If people that shoot there don't start picking up after themselves, it will eventually get closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    I didn't see any appliances or old cars at Maud road. It was more of bottles and cans and a lot of empty casings. All the broken glass is what's gonna suck trying to clean up. When I left, I hauled back all my paper targets, casings, and about 8 garbage bags full of shot aluminum cans, buckets, and plastic bottles. If people that shoot there don't start picking up after themselves, it will eventually get closed.
    Its part of the KPUA management plan to build a range in the area. DNR started clearing land for the range a couple years ago. However, the DNR did not follow the public process and the Butte locals filed a suit or protest to stop the range construction until the public review process was completed. Maybe by now the DNR has given up or lost funding.

People have been shooting there for decades and leaving their trash. The spring cleanup folks for Jim Creek usually get up there and pick up debris at the range and along the road where people continue to dump their trash rather than drive it to a transfer site or the dump.

check out the DNR KPUA website for additional information.

It is a real shame that they haven't finished the range back on Maud road. Not all Butte people are against this range. I currently live in Palmer and my parents and brother live at the end of Maud rd. In fact, my grandparents homesteaded the entire area at the end of the paved road and I am still a huge advocate of the range. I would rather people have a responsible place to shoot instead of pulling off by the creek and shooting up the road signs close to the houses. I feel that if they finish the range and add some nice shooting benches and some concrete pads it would be allot easier to keep clean. I would hope that if they were to build a nice shooting area that people would treat it as such and respect it more. Currently it is nothing more than a dozer clearing and some dirt piles. I really hope this is finished properly soon.