Thread: Servicemember new to Alaska....

Default Servicemember new to Alaska....

I have come to Alaska from NC and chose to come here pretty much solely for the purpose of experiencing all the outdoors that Alaska has to offer. I am currently deployed as of right now, and will not return until end of Oct. 2012...both me and a friend of mine deployed here as well are looking forward to hunting/fishing/camping Alaska. I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips, will it be worth it to purchase a General Season license when we get back in late Oct? We both live north of Anchorage, I in Chugiak and he lives in Wasilla. Will there be some good areas to hunt close to home? We have been looking into the regulations book pretty well, so we have all the rules down, just dont really know if it would be worth it hunting close to home, or should we be hunting farther away? Also if anyone out there was in the same boat as me at one time, and now has the knowledge I am seeking, if you would please share it with me. We are both looking to purchase ATV's when we get back, as Im sure they will come in handy when hunting. Pretty much the only advice I have been given so far was, 'all you have to do is get off the ATV trails a little ways and you will see all kinds of wildlife'. Dont know how true this rings....ok well Ive talked enough, if anyone wouldnt mind giving two lost Army guys some advice on how to best tackle Alaska hunting, please let me know!

Buy the license, you will need it anyway to enter the draw hunts for next year. NEAR home in Alaska is 300 or 400 miles, the Denali Hwy would be a good place to start. Thanks for your service and get home safe. Download the regulations and read them several times, ask your questions here. I'm a retired military guy myself, many have come here before you asking for help. We will help those that help themselves.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Welcome to Alaska and and hunting up here.
    Stay safe over there and keep your head on a swivel.
    I am military myself and am fairly new to hunting in AK, I have been up here for three years and as of yet have not been sucessful at hunting up here. Alaska my be fairly "plentiful" for hunting but she doesn't give up here fruits without some work from you.

If you're by chance looking for a third wheel that speaks "military" and wouldn't mind, I am looking for hunting partner(s) and would definitely be willing to share what I know. Although keep in mind that I have as of yet been unsucessful up here.

send me a PM if you're interested

Again welcome
    Diamond Marquis

Hey brother, I arrived here in the Army in the early 90s and had the same goals you stated.

The first thing I would do is get a license and caribou tag, then head North on your first 4-day weekend in October/November. My first memories (good ones anyway) of Alaska hunting was me and my bro hitting the Haul Rd. for caribou. We did the drive North and hunted for four days in blowing snow, whiteouts, and we saw a butt load of new critters (unfamiliar to us at the time). Having never seen animal herds larger than a dozen or two elk in WA and CO, we were hooked after seeing bands of dozens, sometimes even scores of dozens of caribou moving across the road system.

Get your bow cert done online if you can, then do the shoot as soon as you can in Alaska. If you're a rifle hunter, plan to hike the 5-miles off road and get your feet wet (literally and figuratively). It's a hoot, and you'll learn so much about what to do differently next time out.

October/November migrations can be impressive and highly successful, but the meat ain't that good that time of year IMO. But you'll sink your fangs into the Alaska hunting scene and begin a long 3-year stent of Alaska Big Game pursuits.

have fun, and be safe in the sand box.

larry

I have come to Alaska from NC and chose to come here pretty much solely for the purpose of experiencing all the outdoors that Alaska has to offer.
    Yeah, I did that **** too........ 25 years ago. I'm still here and over halfway through a pretty decent career.

Welcome to AK and keep your head down till ya get back.
    Now what ?

Matt, if I were you I'd spend my ATV money on remote fly-in or float hunts. The ATV can get you to some good places but it can also get you into trouble.

Thanks for your service and Godspeed

I wouldn't plan an ATV hunt, fly-in hunt, or float hunt in late October or November. Most of the moose seasons are closed by then. I would think the bears would be winterizing then. Could go after caribou on the haul road. Or perhaps go after after deer in southeast AK, PWS, or Kodiak. If hunting locally, there are opportunities for small game and the smaller predators. If it were me, I'd consider going down to the lower 48 or Hawaii for a pig hunt.

Start thinking about what you want to hunt in 2013 and apply for the draw permits (by end of 2012 for 2013). Also start thinking about which ATV to get for use on the following year (2013). There are advantages and disadvantages for just about every transportation mode (feet, horses, ATV, UTV, snow-go, canoe, Jet Boat, air boat, plane). I would recommend an Argo with tracks if your budgets would so afford.

Thanks for all the info guys, we figured we wouldnt really be hunting any big game that time of year except for Caribou, so I take it the haul road would be our best shot for that? We plan on getting alot of ice fishing in during the winter, along with preparing for the upcoming hunting season. We have been talking alot about getting into some sheep hunting lately, seems like there are alot of general season areas around home. However I have read that the Tok management area would be our best bet, however it is a draw hunt. Does anyone else have any good ideas on this as far as where to go? Also hunting deer down in the southeast will probably be on our winter list as well. Thanks for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Buy the license, you will need it anyway to enter the draw hunts for next year. NEAR home in Alaska is 300 or 400 miles, the Denali Hwy would be a good place to start. Thanks for your service and get home safe. Download the regulations and read them several times, ask your questions here. I'm a retired military guy myself, many have come here before you asking for help. We will help those that help themselves.

Steve
    I believe that the permit you would need for drawings is the 2013 permit. I think you have to buy the following year to draw for that year.

If I am correct in that, I would either go for deer in PWS or wait until 2013 and start at this time of year with a spring bear, fish all summer, then moose/deer in the fall.

Good luck drawing Tok...not an easy draw for sure. I would recommend your first sheep hunt be more about the experience than the harvest. If you're on a tight budget you can ATV or even walk into some areas of the state...I'll let you do the research yourself as you might find some other area I never thought about when I was doing the exact same thing you are some 4 years ago. IF you have a little cash to blow I'd recommend hopping a quick plane into some of the closer destinations. Ran us $700 a piece from Fairbanks into the AK range last year, that to me was much more worthwhile than the previous two attempts where we drove a couple hundred miles and drove in ATVs. Which often leads to flat tires or broken equipment.

matt- i am currently deployed also. a few of us are trying to go up haul road in november if we have leave. maybe we can all get together and figure something out PM if you might be interested in going up there

Mental note to self don't go up the haul road in November 1-25 and 4-25 Soldiers will be up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Mental note to self don't go up the haul road in November 1-25 and 4-25 Soldiers will be up there.
    Ahh what jon you dont want to wear that caribou outfit you had made last year.. You know **** well 4-25 joes cannot shoot for crap (kidding as I am in 4-25).

back on topic

There are plenty of places with-in 2 hours of base that you can score a nice animal. I had 2 bears taken on my bait site last year both in under a hour of being on the barrel (well 1 was taken at the bait site the other about 8 miles away when screwing around on the quad). The big thing is read the regs.. do your research and DO NOT be afraid to go off the trail or road system (my more successful hunts have been breaking brush and just walking out and seeing what I find). If you need some help when we get back just let me know as I will be doing some fall hunting and prepping for spring bear season

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Sounds like 323 doesnt want to be showed up by some young bucks

Quote Originally Posted by tfaudree5 View Post
    matt- i am currently deployed also. a few of us are trying to go up haul road in november if we have leave. maybe we can all get together and figure something out PM if you might be interested in going up there
    I would man but I dont pointy stick hunt so I would have to trudge 5 miles through snow to get out of the corridor, doesnt sound too tempting a thing to do in November, also I dont know when our leave will be yet. However I would attempt it next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Ahh what jon you dont want to wear that caribou outfit you had made last year.. You know **** well 4-25 joes cannot shoot for crap (kidding as I am in 4-25).

back on topic

There are plenty of places with-in 2 hours of base that you can score a nice animal. I had 2 bears taken on my bait site last year both in under a hour of being on the barrel (well 1 was taken at the bait site the other about 8 miles away when screwing around on the quad). The big thing is read the regs.. do your research and DO NOT be afraid to go off the trail or road system (my more successful hunts have been breaking brush and just walking out and seeing what I find). If you need some help when we get back just let me know as I will be doing some fall hunting and prepping for spring bear season
    Thanks for the tips and I appreciate the offer, as of now were still unsure of when we will be leaving. NLT end of October as per our orders. I have heard from other guys as well that as soon as you get off the trails you will see alot more game, and obviously with that your chances of being successful are better. Not sure as of yet what hunting I will be doing Oct/Nov time frame, still doing my research, thanks for the offer though and I will most likely be in contact with you when we get back.