Thread: Wool?

Default Wool?

Looking to start scrounging wool items for my float next year, (not much use for wool hunting the Oregon coast range) I'm going to invest in the merino wool base layer top/bottom, but what about the 100% wool at army surplus? They gots all kinds of socks, gloves, hats that I think would work and a lot less spendy? Northerners would know better than me....rather hear from experience than be stuck with some thing risky(itchy/uncomfortable) on my trip, Thanks.

There are some inexpensive options at military surplus stores that I've used in the past. I don't tend to wear wool now for fall hunts, but go back to it during winter. I found a company by accident called BEAGLE WEAR. I have not seen it yet, looks reallly good, but pretty expensive initial outlay. Some of it is touted as waterproof.
    Just a couple of thoughts,
    ARR

That's the downside to military surplus wool, i wore it for years in the army...I don't wear it today because i'm still itchy just thinking about the surplus wool quality.

Will it work to keep you warm? yes.

It is heavier than merino wool, but a fraction of the cost.

My favorite mid level base layers are made by Ibex, but IceBreaker seems to snag less. I prefer the fit of Ibex, so i stick with their brand.

For lightweight base layers, I use Kryptek merino wool.

larry

Seems like Larry and I have the same taste in lots of things. I too love IBEX and is my standard, like the fit and workmanship, Not to mention most of their gear is USA made, I even have a down jacket that the outer shell is a wool blend and the wind and water does not effect it like other down gear.
    That said my favorite wool company is SWANNDRI, Christchurch, NZ. Look at their web site. By far the best and well built in NZ. good prices and shipping. Actually have one of their heaver shirts ,with half zip brass zipper on now, have been cutting down trees for the last week. Also have a long anorak, hooded wool coat that I have used in adverse conditions for over 25 years. Guess what I am saying is wool is the best in my opinion. Just start out with high end stuff. Had a blazo stove blow up on me years back and melted the polypro to my skin-- Yep, I am a wool person for sure. Just my opinion.
    Good to have worked out my differences with the forum and back talking with ya'll.
    Goo

Thrift stores... I have heaps of wool all bought 2nd hand for next to nothing. Get a good under amour type base layer and the itching won't be a problem. I actually don't get scratched up much at all and wear it often. If I had to wear one outfit and walk off as a hermit it would be Woolrich bib overalls and a wool sweater with a long sleeve synthetic t-shirt underneath.

Buy something cheap and wear it around awhile.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Good to have worked out my differences with the forum and back talking with ya'll.
    Goo

Glad to hear Goo

95% of folks that come here are looking for info from experienced folks like you.

That Ibex you and Larry mention sounds nice.

Will check it out. Some wool would be welcome on certain NW trips.

Lack of 3X tall options is why I don't have any wool now.

-Dan

I never was a fan of wool until I tried the Smartwool socks. They are much more comfortable than traditional wool. I don't know a thing about thier other items but they have base layer stuff on thier site. Anyone ever used any of it?

Dan get in touch with me at sotaralaska@yahoo.com-- wrote you a long response on the forum -- guess it did not go through??
    907-345-4308
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I never was a fan of wool until I tried the Smartwool socks. They are much more comfortable than traditional wool. I don't know a thing about thier other items but they have base layer stuff on thier site. Anyone ever used any of it?
    Yes Sir!! Smartwool is great. I started with socks and have moved to underware, base layers and it is very comfortable and warm. I check out Sierra Trading Post and find good deals on their Smartwool if you can find the right sizes. It goes under my Primaloft jacket and pants...can't beat that stuff either!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.