Thread: Shovel & Bucket Rental

Question Shovel & Bucket Rental

Hello all. My wife and I will rent an RV in Anchorage in early September and head for Clam Gulch to do some clamming, and later, do some silver salmon fishing before heading for the Alcan Hwy and finally flying home from Seattle. As for the razor clam digging, we'll stop at Soldotna Hardware to purchase waders and other gear - the owner said he'll still have lots of waders in stock at that time... I've read and been told that renting clam shovels and buckets is the thing to do. Any suggestions on who to rent shovels from at Clam Gulch and where they're located? Suggestions for places to dig and any general guidance will also be appreciated . Thank you.

rentals are available at beach access rd and along the highway just to the south. That being said, lots of operations like that close up by the end of August, so they might not be there in that timeframe.

Just an FYI ... clamming at CG is pretty much a bust nowadays. Lots of speculation as to why ... I've heard everything from pipeline leaks near Nikiski killing off food on the northern beaches to freze-out of the clams last winter. Whatever the case, numbers are way down and size flat out stinks. I'd time your digs for the biggest tides of that series and dig further south

Smile Clams

The Clams are small, but plentiful and I've dug from South Coho to Anchor point this year. You will get nice Clams mixed in your catch and those small ones eat the best anyway.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    Clam Gulch, Alaska
    1-888-803-9177
    www.wildroselodge.com

Smile Thanks guys

Profishguide and Piscatorial Pursuits, thanks for your perspectives, opinions and advice on clam size and clamming sites. They go a long way to getting a clearer picture of what clamming is all about. My thinking now is to dig at Clam Gulch and move south as the tides get lower during the early Sept moon phase. We'll be the couple with garden trowls (If we can't find shovels for rent), and big smiles but looking like we need a serious rinse off.