Thread: Goose Bay OMG!

Cool Goose Bay OMG!

Flew over to Goose Bay to do some T&G's and get familiar for my Polly Creek clam run tomorrow. I announced on 122.8 and there were already two in the pattern landing to the east. There was a little red rag wing doing a RIGHT HAND pattern and a white Beaver doing a LEFT HAND Pattern? I came back on the radio and asked if it was right or left pattern. The Beaver driver snapped back LEFT, the other aircraft announced they were doing a short pattern and it was working out OK?

I was on downwind at the time I announced that I was not going to land and broke off the pattern.

I have been flying sence 1984 and this was a first for me ....

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Flew over to Goose Bay to do some T&G's and get familiar for my Polly Creek clam run tomorrow. I announced on 122.8 and there were already two in the pattern landing to the east. There was a little red rag wing doing a RIGHT HAND pattern and a white Beaver doing a LEFT HAND Pattern? I came back on the radio and asked if it was right or left pattern. The Beaver driver snapped back LEFT, the other aircraft announced they were doing a short pattern and it was working out OK?

I was on downwind at the time I announced that I was not going to land and broke off the pattern.

I have been flying sence 1984 and this was a first for me ....
    While just over the numbers at Lake Tahoe in 1964, I looked up to see a Beechcraft Bonanza bearing down on me from the front. He'd made no radio contact, and was quite certain he was alone in the world. I guess a guy has to always be lookin'.

According to this FAA site: http://www.airnav.com/airport/Z40 the traffic pattern for Goose Bay is on the north side of the air strip. Or in other words for runway 8 it's a right hand pattern and for 26 it's a left hand pattern.

Excuse me? Runway 8 uses a rh pattern and 26 uses a lh pattern (7/25 in my memory). the airplane should always be on the south side of the runway when on downwind. It's been that way for as long as I remember and with the radio tower to the NW its very comfortable.

Correct, Mr Pid.
    Monguse's link has that correctly. He is confused.
    I wouldn't think anyone would want to fly downwind with a 1000' tower anyway. Maybe I'm wrong.......

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Excuse me? Runway 8 uses a rh pattern and 26 uses a lh pattern (7/25 in my memory). the airplane should always be on the south side of the runway when on downwind. It's been that way for as long as I remember and with the radio tower to the NW its very comfortable.
    Yep thats right. I've done a good of practice there the last 2-yrs and it works.

Ocn did the right thing and left. Those pilots had it worked out but dangerous for more then them flying there and they aught to know that.

I heard a CFI in my plane complain about other pilots there not knowing the right from left ha!.

RR

Yup, I got it backwards. Thanks for the correction.

It was Wednesday, March 6th, 1957, when I took my new wife for a short trip to the Big Lake Lodge for pie and coffee. I found that the airplane I had reserved for that flight, a 90-hp Champ, N7448B, had not returned from a flight to Big Lake the day before, so we used its sister ship, N7749B. In passing over the old Goose Bay strip, I saw N7748B standing vertically on the north end of the strip, its nose buried in the frozen earth. Both drunks dead . . . . .

As the British are wont to say, "Mind your Ps and Qs (your pints and quarts)."

The point is these guy's were going head to head, possible midair collision on base leg ..... why were they doing this ... a little crazy?

Crazy is a little overstated. If they had communication and a clear view of each other there would be no problem maintaining separation. Three would have made it more difficult so your decision to move on was probably wise.

You need to remember that there is no requirement for an airplane to have a radio. Some guy with a J3 could have entered the pattern with no communication capability. Too many guys yak on the radio and assume no answer means no traffic. Not true. How many times have I heard pilots approaching a strip like Goose Bay and ask "is there anyone in the pattern?" Keep your eyes open.

It spring time and all the weekend warriors come out! It was the same at Birchwood yesterday. Guys back taxiing while another plane is on final behind him (who had been clearly communicating the entire time), another had to perform a go around due to an ill advised antic by another. This all happened in about the 10 minutes I had to wait to get the hell out of there. Keep your head out of the cockpit gentlemen!

That's why this time of years has been referred to as "air show season", in addition with all the "bush pilots" practicing for Valdez . . .

Thanks for the comments and heads up.

I totally forgot abt the radio requirements. Good call,

Ya know with the midairs we've had, I'm gonna check on radar or some such. I can accept me making a mistake as along as I dont kill the pups but having a midair is unforgivable.

RR