Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for mountain house

Default Ideas for mountain house

It would seem that we have caught the interest of one of the members from the Mountain house manufactures. Thought it might be cool to offer some thoughts and feed back directly as one of the biggest focus groups that they would find. I know that most here aren't shy about sharing their views and thought.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

A lot of us are former military and I sure miss having a serving of freeze dried peaches, like older MREs once had. How about throwing in a small single serving of freeze dried peaches in its own package inside of a regular meal pack? You could have a meal and healthy desert.

On another note, anyone remember the 'four fingers of death' MRE? I loved those hot-dogs.

More dessert options.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

i wrote this on the other thread but ill repeat... could you include a plastic spoon or fork in the bags with your individual meals. i cant tell you how many times i've forgotten or lost/broke eating utensils. just a little wrapped spoon or fork thrown in would be a lifesaver sometimes and better than using whatever you can round up. i'm sure im not the only one who forgot a fork or spoon while going out hunting. better yet how about a spork??

if there isn't already..how about cheezy potatoes with bacon bits...mmmmm

second that on putting a spork in there. Many times I've had to drink the meal because of missing the utensils.

Diamond Marquis

[QUOTE=AK-Sniper;1118259]second that on putting a spork in there. Many times I've had to drink the meal because of missing the utensils.

[/QUOTE

on the same note, it would kill Jack Links to throw a couple of toothpicks in with their jerky.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; freeze-dried beer!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I would like to see a couple packets of Tabasco and and maybe some red pepper .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Milo, could always just grab a stick and start carving...Spoon.jpg

[QUOTE=Milo;1118307]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-Sniper View Post
    second that on putting a spork in there. Many times I've had to drink the meal because of missing the utensils.

[/QUOTE

on the same note, it would kill Jack Links to throw a couple of toothpicks in with their jerky.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    I would like to see a couple packets of Tabasco and and maybe some red pepper .

RR
    Where's the like button on this?

Seriously Mountain House, you could either use the ketchup-like plastic packets, such as what they give out at popeye's chicken, or the miniature glass bottles, such as what comes in certain MRE's.

Speaking of MRE's, I would be very interested to see even a small selection of ready to eat type meals, probably on an individual portion size, that taste better than MRE's, and doesn't require water for preparation. You never know when you're going to be stuck without water, and, if you're entire food supply is Mountain House (as mine usually is) you've got nothing but Cliff Bars to eat.

Otherwise, I think Mountain House is a great product.

BTW: my 10 year old son says don't change the chili mac!

Everyone knows you tape disposable spoons to all bags of chilli mac and lasagna

As for Mtn House, used them for many years, ate it half the meals on my remote float trips.

No longer.

Tired of the limited selection and expensive prices. As I type this, the wife and I are cooking jumbo, a test meal for camping/float trips. A totally dehydrated float trip appropriate meal. It is a mix made by All Of Us (brand). They got all kind of great stuff, gumbo, taco soup, chicken/barley, homestyle vegetable, etc.. We added 1 lb of king crab legs we got at 10th and M. Making Bisquick cheesy garlic biscuits. Only thing missing is the gravel bar and willow smoke.

There are some great options out there now. All of Us soups is top shelf. Wilderness Dining.com has great stuff. Harvest Foodworks (Canada) has unusual items and good eats. Love their powdered oil. Works like a charm in my dutch oven and no more messy oil bottle to lug around. Packit Gourmet (company name) has the best food I have seen. Their gumbo comes with sausage, croutons, packs of this and that, etc.. Just a tremendous meal. Check out their website. Mountain House needs to step up the variety and quality of food they offer in my opinion. Many more choices out there than just a few years ago.

Also, my buddy tried to order a few hundred dollars of their food for a 2 week float trip we got planned in NW Alaska this fall. In the past, Mountain House would ship to the transporter. They told my buddy they no longer sell directly to individuals due to demand being so high. So there you go, another company that said the hell with the little guy. I could be more impressed.

-Dan

thanks danattherock. i didn't know about some of the other outfits you suggested i'll give some of the others a try. i actually like mountain house but after a few days of chilli mac, lasangna, and mexican rice you have to start thinking about seperate tents...

Your welcome. This is the best dehydrated meal I have found. Gumbo from Packitgourmet...

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Nawlins...umbo-p244.html

A true 2 person meal, good size servings, and tasty. Just make some Bisquick garlic cheesy biscuits, you got a feast. Best part, all you do is add water to make both the gumbo and the biscuits. Gravel bar happiness.

They even sell margarita powder.

Just add water and tequila

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Moonshi...rita-p243.html

Prefer rum over tequila?

Get the copper canyon mudslide powder...

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Copper-...lide-p419.html

And this cheddar jack cheese spread is awesome. Just add 2 ounces of water.

Goes nicely on pilot bread with some summer sausage for lunch.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Cheddar...read-p178.html

This company also has the best desserts I have found. Banana pudding, pumkin cheesecake, strawberry cheesecake, lemon/ginger, etc...

-Dan

A prime rib and spotted shrimp meal would be nice...

No reason you can't eat like that on the first night.

We do

[QUOTE=Duckhunter01;1118362]Milo, could always just grab a stick and start carving...Spoon.jpg

Holy crap, I never thought of that. You are a f' genious.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Well, bad news is I am eating crow.

Good news is there is a company out there that still cares about the 'little man'.

My buddy tells me today that Mountain House is now selling to individuals and will ship where ever you want. Don't have the particulars on how he found out, it was a text I just got. I called Mountain House to confirm this and the lady did in fact say they would sell to individuals and ship your product anywhere. Four guys, 2 week float trip, lots of food to bring up from NC. We will put in a big order of about 60 meals and have them shipped to the transporter in Kotz. That saves us a huge hassle and the associated extra baggage fee on Alaska Air.

Way to go Mountain House

Guess I better get my disposable spoons and tape ready

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

Also, my buddy tried to order a few hundred dollars of their food for a 2 week float trip we got planned in NW Alaska this fall. In the past, Mountain House would ship to the transporter. They told my buddy they no longer sell directly to individuals due to demand being so high. So there you go, another company that said the hell with the little guy. I could be more impressed.

-Dan

Spork in the package sounds like a good idea. But maybe having a check list might reduce the weigh in your pack especially if you are carrying nine days worth of food including nine sporks. Nine sporks in and nine sporks out = many pounds that you are picking up with the legs.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    A lot of us are former military and I sure miss having a serving of freeze dried peaches, like older MREs once had. How about throwing in a small single serving of freeze dried peaches in its own package inside of a regular meal pack? You could have a meal and healthy desert.

On another note, anyone remember the 'four fingers of death' MRE? I loved those hot-dogs.
    Great ideas! I always thought the "4 fingers of death" would be perfect if they had included a mustard packet! The potato strings were a nice addition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    More dessert options.
    I second this, the few options that are out there are good ones and make a nice addition to any trip but a couple more choices wouldn't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast