Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamson Guru

Default Lamson Guru

Anyone using the guru , I'm thinking of getting the guru 3 for alaska this year .They also make the 3.5 but its a big reel and I would rather stay with the size 3 if it will do the job . We won't be fishing for kings , mainly silvers some chum and pinks and hopefully some big rainbows ! The G3 is listed as a 7/8 reel and line capacity is listed with a 7wt. line , my rod is an 8 wt. . The G 3.5 is listed as a 8/9 reel with line capacity listed with 9wt. line.
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Anyone using the guru , I'm thinking of getting the guru 3 for alaska this year .They also make the 3.5 but its a big reel and I would rather stay with the size 3 if it will do the job . We won't be fishing for kings , mainly silvers some chum and pinks and hopefully some big rainbows ! The G3 is listed as a 7/8 reel and line capacity is listed with a 7wt. line , my rod is an 8 wt. . The G 3.5 is listed as a 8/9 reel with line capacity listed with 9wt. line.
    The Guru 3 should do the job for you. Just be sure to plant your feet when fighting silver salmon. You'll never fight a more energetic nor determined fish !!!!! They're so aerial that they will be almost dry when the fight is over.

I'd talk to the folks you're buying from about Lamson warranty repairs, and specifically about use in saltwater. Lamson used to be the hot name in reels among many of my friends, but most of them have moved on to other brands due to Lamson's warranty shop and due to deterioration, particularly in the drag, with saltwater use. One guy was so mad after getting jerked around for a year on warranty work, he donated all his Lamsons to the Salvation Army and took a tax writeoff. Just saying it's worth a double check. Not an issue if you don't have any problems certainly, but I trust these guys and know they're not easily swayed from a brand they like.

Grizzly , I know what your talking about , if you can survive the first rocket run you have a chance of landing him maybe !

Brownbear , I've heard all good about Lamson and especially there drag system , I thought it would be a good choice , here is the first thread we got started on reels .http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=reel

Only telling you what I've heard from folks I trust who have a lot of experience with them. The warranty fiasco one guy had went like this:

He sent a 3-month old reel back to Lamson and they kept it two months, then sent it back to him without fixing the problem. He sent it back and they kept it six months that time and sent it back unfixed. He sent it back and they kept it four months and returned it fixed, but with a bill for repairs because it was now out of warranty. Large phone fight and lawyer threats (from Lamson) and he sent the reel back to them and told them to stuff it. Then he hauled the rest of his Lamson reels to the Salvation Army. He's a good level-headed guy who's not abusive of gear. He fishes as much as most of us wish we could, puts lots of wear on his gear but takes good care of it all. And he's not one to try to wrangle free stuff. This was just a strait warranty repair transaction, and he expected a good experience based on about 30 years of using and admiring their products. He takes such good care of gear, I sincerely wish he'd sent them to me rather than hauling them to the SA.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Only telling you what I've heard from folks I trust who have a lot of experience with them. The warranty fiasco one guy had went like this:

He sent a 3-month old reel back to Lamson and they kept it two months, then sent it back to him without fixing the problem. He sent it back and they kept it six months that time and sent it back unfixed. He sent it back and they kept it four months and returned it fixed, but with a bill for repairs because it was now out of warranty. Large phone fight and lawyer threats (from Lamson) and he sent the reel back to them and told them to stuff it. Then he hauled the rest of his Lamson reels to the Salvation Army. He's a good level-headed guy who's not abusive of gear. He fishes as much as most of us wish we could, puts lots of wear on his gear but takes good care of it all. And he's not one to try to wrangle free stuff. This was just a strait warranty repair transaction, and he expected a good experience based on about 30 years of using and admiring their products. He takes such good care of gear, I sincerely wish he'd sent them to me rather than hauling them to the SA.
    Another reason to go with Ross. To each their own.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Another reason to go with Ross. To each their own.

Fish On!
    Good to know about Ross. I am in the slow process of switching all of my reels to them.

My experience with Lamson has been the opposite. I have ten Lamson reels and they are flawless, have strong drags, and work great. I bought five used (but new) salt water reels for 9 wt. Contacted Lamson and they offered to put in the new cassettes, more corrosion resistant I was told, for free. All I had to do was send them the reels. They upgraded all the reels with new cassettes, cleaned and serviced all reels, converted them to right hand retrieve (for my wife who is lefty) and I had them back in less than two weeks. I have bought five Lightspeed reels, three Velocities, and two Gurus. All are top shelf reels in my opinion. You would have to spend a lot more money to get more reel in my opinion.

-Dan

I might consider ross but , there CLA line ( the one I can afford) in the reel size I want is way to heavy compared to other reels and the evolution which has a much better size to weight ratio is to expensive . if I'm reading the specs right . To get a cla for an 8 wt. your up to 7.3 oz. the cla 3 which is in the weight class of a lamson at 5.5 oz is rated for only 5-7 weight lines .

Danattherock , Glad to hear a good report on Lamson .

Search the old threads and you will find many more.

You can get a nicer reel, but the price of admission is high.

Lamson is a great balance of value, quality, and performance.

-Dan

I like the idea they all have the same conical drag system even on there hi end reels .

I was looking at reels friday trying to decide what to get for the same situation you are in chugbug. I've listened to guys for some time talk about how good Ross reels are but also say they aren't buying another. The Lamsons got my attention, I was looking at the Guru 3.5 for my 8 weight. Not to sure I like the extra width or not but I did notice a substancial difference in the drag between the Lamson's and the Ross reels that I messed with. I did not expect the Ross to have less drag by any means but it did. An after thought that came up in conversation was possibly it had to do with the fact that everyone messes with the showcase reels. Definetly made me think twice about the drags but I can't see spending that much more for the Ross. I never really worried about warranties on reels, least not like I do with rods but I appreciate the input above. Something else to ponder.

As a side note, I own several Ross Evolution reels and they are superb.

Cranking a reel to feel the drag with your hand over a glass counter is a poor way to measure it's practical use. Guilty of it myself, but it does not tell the whole story. I have three Ross Evolutions on some Scott 8 wts. That combo has landed hundreds of silvers, chums, and BIG dollies, up to 14 lbs. Still looks and performs like the day I bought them.

-Dan

Bighorn , funny you mentioned the width of the 3.5 guru , I was also at the counter checking out reels and noticed the big width spool on the 3.5 guru and opted for the more narrow spool on the konic 3.5 , specs show 1.38 wide on the guru 3.5 , 1.25 on guru 3 and 1.22 on konic 3.5 . Got the konic home and the coated mount feet are kind of thick and don't slide into my reel seat very well . So thats what got this question going , I'm probably going to exchange the konic for a guru , but I don't want the extra large width of the 3.5 and was wondering if the guru 3 would be enough reel for silvers , bows and sockeye on my 8wt St Croix avid blank .

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Cranking a reel to feel the drag with your hand over a glass counter is a poor way to measure it's practical use. Guilty of it myself, but it does not tell the whole story.
    Can't say that I disagree with you on this, but how else can you check out a reel before purchasing?

I am with you man. Like I said, done it myself. The cranking the reel while drag locked down over the glass counter test is one that fly shop owners see all the time. In that test, the Evolution does appear to have a weaker drag than my Lamson Velocity's. But in practical use, that amount of drag will rarely (if ever) be applied to a fish. Simply put, the leader/tippet would never allow it.

Guess the point I was making (poorly) was that the higher range of drag resistance one feels with the hand cranking test is not applicable to most real world fishing scenarios. I personally find more value in a drag that is smooth during the range of adjustment. A drag system that will be less likely to break off a fish in my opinion.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am with you man. Like I said, done it myself. The cranking the reel while drag locked down over the glass counter test is one that fly shop owners see all the time. In that test, the Evolution does appear to have a weaker drag than my Lamson Velocity's. But in practical use, that amount of drag will rarely (if ever) be applied to a fish. Simply put, the leader/tippet would never allow it.

Guess the point I was making (poorly) was that the higher range of drag resistance one feels with the hand cranking test is not applicable to most real world fishing scenarios. I personally find more value in a drag that is smooth during the range of adjustment. A drag system that will be less likely to break off a fish in my opinion. -Dan
    That is a good point.

So how do you guys feel about a guru 3 on an 8wt rod , for silvers and bows and the occasional sockeye .

I would not go to Alaska with one of anything. My suggestion is to get two Lamson Guru 3.0 reels and pick up a 7 wt rod. On one reel (for silvers), go with an 8 wt sink tip or interchangeable sink tip system for versatility. On the other reel (for bows), get a 7 wt WF line. You could then effectively fish an 8 wt rod/reel for silvers and a 7 wt rod/reel for rainbows.

To me at least, those pair up nicely. Many guys prefer going for rainbows on 5-6 wts in fact. I would think 8 wt would be too much for most rainbows you will encounter. However, an 8 wt is generally considered a very good wt for silvers. Buying one rod and two reels could be a good move for many reasons. The most obvious, you would have a back up rod with you for the inevitable.

Food for thought at any rate.

-Dan

I have a couple Lamson Konic 4.0 I use on a TFO 9wt and a St-croix 8 wt I have caught a bunch of Kings and Reds with em.
    Can't say enough good about Lamson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast