Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C dory today in culross passage...ran a ground

Default C dory today in culross passage...ran a ground

This us a picture of the boat everyone was ok just bumps and bruises... I believe he fell asleep but dont know that for sure. Also it high tide ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336285582.666144.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1336285603.498620.jpg
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

What a bummer, glad everyone was ok, and hope the boat didn't get damaged too bad
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Looks like the snow is backing off nicely.

Glad they are okay. I heard them say on the radio that the captain fell asleep. I saw the explorer tied off at the dock when I got back so figured they had made it back in. Since he stuck it at high tide hopefully it won't swamp before they can get back to it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Looks like he made a pretty good attempt at running that stream.....

Now I think he would be OK shooting from a boat based on that picture. Glad everyone is OK the cold water still makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Glad they are okay. I heard them say on the radio that the captain fell asleep. I saw the explorer tied off at the dock when I got back so figured they had made it back in. Since he stuck it at high tide hopefully it won't swamp before they can get back to it.
    Seen it yesterday. Was gonna post about it, but already here. We heard nothing about it, got to it after 3pm. Seen a boat with name explorer on it near with another boat. Did they launch in the morning? I seen a C dory launching at the same time we did, around 8:30am I think. Bummer for sure and didn't look natural, like a beaching. Next high tide is at the end of the month that will be high enough to float it, yester was around 12' high tide. 31st I think is 12.2'. Maybe enough to get enough pressure and pull, or cut some logs and place under near bow to help roll off? Really shallow up near it too it looked like, by visual and GPS.

I heard the call go out Saturday but I could not make out the location, shortly after I heard someone was on location and that everyone was safe.

If that were my boat I would be looking to rent some of those heavy lift air bags and maybe take some 4x4's and big lag bolts over and build me a mini boat launch to get it back in the water. I sure would not want to leave it there for a month, there would be nothing left of it.

Hope they get this taken care of and if I were going to be in town I would offer to help in whatever way I could.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Does anyone know with any degree of certainty if this boat was actually under command and travelling on the water when the incident took place? Or, were they tied to the trees during high tide, and folks fell to sleep and woke up. How many people were on board? People on-board a small vessel like this were "sleeping" while underway and they ran aground when the captain fell to sleep? Just trying to understand what happened here and thus far everything I read is rumor and hearsay. If anyone knows the facts, I'd be interested. I agree w/ JR2, that boat will be history if it isn't moved immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagechief View Post
    Does anyone know with any degree of certainty if this boat was actually under command and travelling on the water when the incident took place? Or, were they tied to the trees during high tide, and folks fell to sleep and woke up. How many people were on board? People on-board a small vessel like this were "sleeping" while underway and they ran aground when the captain fell to sleep? Just trying to understand what happened here and thus far everything I read is rumor and hearsay. If anyone knows the facts, I'd be interested. I agree w/ JR2, that boat will be history if it isn't moved immediately.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

That boat will swamp unless they can get it more level before it sees water again.

From listening to the coast guard chatter they ran aground while underway when the captain fell asleep. There we cuts and bruises but no significant injuries. The Explorer was close by and was able to help. I heard three people but I am not sure if that was everyone or just what the Explorer took in.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

No one with a brain in their head would ever anchor up in a location like that and go to sleep on PWS.

Oh wait, I remember a radio call about 4 years ago where someone did that having a picnic and wanted the Coast Guard to come out and put their boat back in the water. I do believe I heard a lot of laughter on one end of the radion call.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagechief View Post

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    No one with a brain in their head would ever anchor up in a location like that and go to sleep on PWS.

Oh wait, I remember a radio call about 4 years ago where someone did that having a picnic and wanted the Coast Guard to come out and put their boat back in the water. I do believe I heard a lot of laughter on one end of the radion call.
    FWIW, I cannot imagine other people are on-board "sleeping" (ROFLMAO) on a 22' C-Dory while the vessel is under command motoring on the water while the captain falls off to sleep. Something smells 'fishy' IMO. Well, glad everyone's OK - they better lay off the valium.

I'm guessing one look at the bow section would tell ya weather he ran it up there or it floated up there. Sure doesn't look very beat up on the chine, bottom paint ain't even scratched up. Motor is even tilted up?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Explorer took 3 off The boat. Just banged up. From the look of prop she's was on step. There a hole in bow. Is what they said to coast guard on channel 22. Looks like youngster boys have some explaining to due.
    Lots of call for help Saturday.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Explorer took 3 off The boat. Just banged up. From the look of prop she's was on step. There a hole in bow. Is what they said to coast guard on channel 22. Looks like youngster boys have some explaining to due.
    Lots of call for help Saturday.
    That is about what I heard on the radio Saturday as well. There sure were quite a few calls Saturday. Anyone know what was going on with the red Niad raft that was having trouble in Culross later in the day?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I was on my kicker headed from half way up Cochran to Whittier when I heard the calls about the grounding and the Niad. Was thinking about calling out on the radio to see if anyone was willing to tow me, but with all the problems that others were having I decided that I wasn't in such dire straits after all

Sure glad I stayed home this weekend. Sounds like it was a bad time to go.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

The guy red raft cam back on said that someone came to help and he shut motor and reset his ECM and it ran fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast