Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: creek company xr1 pontoon

Default creek company xr1 pontoon

has anyone had any experience with this companys products. I would like to have something that i can float on instead of having to hike everywhere and as much as i would like to get a pavati/willies etc i just do not have 10k+ laying around with all my tuition loans. I would be using it mainly for the kenai/russian. any help would be great i cannot seem to find any info online other than that posted by the manufacture. it is very afforadable and i realize u get what you pay for but would this thing be more of a burden that a blessing.

http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16155

I use to have one kind of like it but mine was a 7' boat. I used it to float the willow and it worked OK. The oars were to small in my opinion, and the outer shell did not wear well if you had to drag it. I now have a fish cat IR10 and love it. I recommend that you look at fish cat or bucks bag.

thanks trapperdan!

I bought a bucks bags 2 man raft in 2004. Man has that thing been perfect for the wife and I on the kenai (we have upgraded to a drift boat) The hours of fun we had on that raft cannot be replaced....God were we green but learning the river and how to fish it was some of the best fun we ever had....I loaned it out last year to another couple and it ruined them,....Now they upgraded to a drifter....It is now sold to another buddy who will use it for years and years.....The only issues I have had were ones I created by being a dumb*****. I would not hesitate to buy another raft from Bucks if I was in the market for one
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

i upgraded from a 1 man 10' cat to a 14' aire. the added room is well worth the added size. my bro has a 16' nrs that i love even more. for me the more room you have the better the experience. this is strictly for float fishing the kenai, not a whitewater set up

My first cat was a Creek Company ODC 816 and it was a decent entry level raft.
    The only thing that I thought was sub standard was the 6' 2pce oars. I didn't like the fact that they didn't have real oarlocks and that the blades are not very durable (they break very easily if you happen to jam a rock on the drift) The fact that the oarlocks are solidly attached to the oar shafts doesn't help in this area.

My buddy had a cat he got at Costco for a really decent price that was much better and it had thicker oar shafts and real oarlocks.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    My first cat was a Creek Company ODC 816 and it was a decent entry level raft.

Is that the one getting the 300 lb test in Sept

Yup, it should mostly float you. LOL

Mostly floating beats the hell out of entirely swimming

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Mostly floating beats the hell out of entirely swimming
    Or only being able to walk in.

thanks for all the feedback fellas!

LOL Dan don't worry, if you chest waders your butt will stay dry!

here is a quick question. does one have to registar a inflatable such as a one man pontoon here in our great state. i think i found a good starter pontoon for myself. maybe will get a trolling motor for when the wind kicks up and i am to burnt to row!

no you don't have to, I don't know the regs on this but I didn't register my 10ft, and I have never seen stickers on any of the bigger ones.

You don't have to register it unless you want to put a motor (gas or electric) on it.

I have two of them and love them for small waters, lakes etc. Great entry level to explore and learn from. Don't take on any heavy water without some experiance.

by heavy water do you mean rapids and fast water. I was hoping to be able to use on parts of the kenai. i would avoid the rapids of course but i would mostly be fishing in between lower skilak lake down stream a bit. I have only been there once and the water was really low ie. two weeks ago. if i need to save for something bigger i will as i want to have fun and not have to worry about drowning lol. Im not the most experienced oarsman but i also know the differene between safe and getting myself into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    by heavy water do you mean rapids and fast water. I was hoping to be able to use on parts of the kenai. i would avoid the rapids of course but i would mostly be fishing in between lower skilak lake down stream a bit. I have only been there once and the water was really low ie. two weeks ago. if i need to save for something bigger i will as i want to have fun and not have to worry about drowning lol. Im not the most experienced oarsman but i also know the differene between safe and getting myself into trouble.
    Your fine as long as you stay out of the canyon and don't run through nap town. Not that you couldn't do it but I wouldn't suggest it unless you have people around and or your good with a raft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
    Kraig
    You will be fine on the Kenai.
    The run from the bridge to Jims only has 2 obstacles to be aware of 1/ The Princess Rapids which are easy to navigate and 2 Schooner Bend (at the entrance to RRCG) you want to keep right as you round the bend on the main channel so as not to go through the heavy water river left. During higher flows the wave train hides Preachers Rock and you don't want to run into it.
    I used my little ODC 816 for the first couple of years and never had any issues other than a broken paddle here and there.
    You will be fine. Don't miss the pull out at Jim's or the canyon and a long row across Skilak awaits. Even if you miss the pullout there is 1/4 mile of shore to pull in before you start to head into the canyon. Just pull off and walk it back up river. Although this is not likey to happen.

You can also use it from Skilak to Bing's and not worry about any serious water. Just don't miss Bing's as the next stop is the Nap Towne Rapids.

I've seen guys on the upper river on stand up paddle boards. You could run it on a cooler lid!!! It's not dangerous as long as you keep your wits about you and look out for strainers. You would be wise to avoid side channels until you have a few runs under your belt and know that the channels are open. Doen't take much for a tress to cross the channel and ruin your day.

This is what can happen when you run a side channel that you don't know about.
    My friend and I rescued the 5 tourists that ran this raft down the wrong channel (one known by any one familliar with the river for this log jam) without knowing what they were getting into. They were lucky as no one was hurt/killed (came close though when a 70 year old got caught under the raft when it flipped). We even managed to save a lot of their gear. All the rods were broken and we lost some of the wooden cross boards when we went to extricate the raft from the log jam the following day but we saved all of their reels, lines, and some clothing. One of the oars was lost when the raft flipped as well. It took my friend and I 4 hours to disassemble and remove the raft from the log jam and set it in a safe place so the owner could come and put it back together and finish running it down stream to Jims.

****, thanks for the info, see a lot of this on the situk with unexperienced oarsmen. happens several times a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast