Thread: Rookie needing some help, please!

Default Rookie needing some help, please!

We had some friends leave state and gave us there dipnets. I have never tried my hand at it but would like to. I want to know where could a person go and take there family safely? I have a newborn so its a must that going to the location be family friendly. Thanks for your help.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

The north beach of the Kenai River mouth is probably the most family-friendly area. We've had our boys down there a number of times and have never had an issue. I'll see if I can find some pictures...

Park at one of the camp spots above Hems place and use his charter while the wife and family enjoy camp.

Walk over and have a beer and I will fill you in.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I couldn't find any good pictures of last year with both of them, but these are from three years ago when my youngest was one year old. We brought down this portable play area since he was mobile - that way we could move around and not have to be constantly worried about where he was going.

It worked nicely for mom to take a nap as well.

As you can see in the background, if you catch it on a nice day it's a pretty family-friendly gig. A big beach with kids running around everywhere - the older ones offering to help bonk fish.

Don't rule out the Kasilof either. The beach is nice and you can drive right to it. Parking is free (just have to find a spot). It can get pretty crazy on the weekend, but is a blast. Good beach. Saw lots of kids there last year. The fishing is tradionally a little slower and the fish are smaller than they are on the Kenai, but still a good time none-the-less. Good luck!

+1 on the Kasilof. It is an experience and is laid back. Fishing generally not as good but open grassy area adjacent to the south side of the mouth make it possible to take a break and run around or whatever. Also, more room to stake out your own little area.

I don't ever dip from the beach, only two of us at home so we don't usually dip, but I spend a lot of time on the beach that time of year people/fish watching and i've rarely run into people who weren't decent to be around and many are fun to be around.

Always lots of kids, my 90lb. doberman is always popular with the kids and it's a great chance to get some good PR for breed.