Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Kasilof conditions and boat takeouts

  1. #1
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default Kasilof conditions and boat takeouts

    Heading down to Kasilof for a shot at some early kings and just to get out of the house and on a river. We are gonna kayak and camp on the 11th and 12th. Just wondering what the conditions are like right now (last post I saw most of the ice was gone) and where is a decent spot to pull a kayak and setup a camp site at this time of year. Last year the first time I fished down there was July already and the winter had not been this rough.

    Thanks for any info ya got.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  2. #2
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    my info probably wont be worth a crap because i haven't been down there this year but we did a little floating in early-mid may years past. we did the lake down to the bridge. the water was low so in a drift boat the little rapids above the bridge were a slight inconvience but absolutely nothing to worry about. the fishing wasn't great cept some steelhead and dollies we caught. only saw some people get kings below crooked creek. good luck hope you get into some kings

  3. #3
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    The water is very low still.
    I did see a truck and empty driftboat trailer in the parking lot at the bridge yesterday. So I would assume it is floatable and one of the pullouts must be in service.
    Here is a pic of the ramp at the bridge yesterday 05/06/12


    Still a bit of snow and ice on the ramp but launchable for a kayak,raft,or driftboat with caution.
    Might be a king or two on the lower river or some steelhead and trout throughout the river.
    Goodluck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  4. #4
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Awesome thanks guys. We are planning at launching at the bridge. A little snow and ice shouldnt be a problem for a kayak launch. Low water will probably help us out as well.

    Still trying to figure out what type of pullout is going to be available down stream. After hearing the news of the cohoe cove campground being closed not really sure where to take out at. We are not opposed to hiking a little ways with the kayaks and the truck is 4wd as well. Any ideas?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    96

    Default

    can u float all the way to the salt and take out at the end of cohoe loop?

  6. #6
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    If none of the lower pullouts are open or if you don't feel like paying them you could easily pull a kayak out on the beach.
    Head down K-Beach and pull in on Kasilof beach road (or is it Kasilof beach stub?) and you can drive and park fairly close to the beach for free. A bit longer of a paddle in the tide zone but otherwise it should be OK.
    This is where all the dipnetters park and you should be able to park close enough without 4wd to retrieve a kayak no problem. If you have a 4wd you should be able to get quite a bit closer driving on the beach sand.
    I have done it with a driftboat and I would rather pay for use of one of the pullouts for my boat.
    If you want a shorter paddle then you could look into the pullout at Kasilof cabins on Cohoe loop. You have to pay to park and use it though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  7. #7
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Awesome thanks. Probably just pull out on the beach. Its only a kayak and Im in pretty decent shape. So the little extra effort wont be a big deal. All the gear is ready to roll Im ready to fish!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  8. #8
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Awesome thanks. Probably just pull out on the beach. Its only a kayak and Im in pretty decent shape. So the little extra effort wont be a big deal. All the gear is ready to roll Im ready to fish!
    I don't know why you couldn't pull a kyak out at Crooked Creek campground right there where the chain link fence comes down to the water...???

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Awesome thanks. Probably just pull out on the beach. Its only a kayak and Im in pretty decent shape. So the little extra effort wont be a big deal. All the gear is ready to roll Im ready to fish!
    Try to hit the lower part at low tide(if pulling out on the beach). It will make for some long paddling if you hit the lower strech of water at high tide.

  10. #10
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I don't know why you couldn't pull a kyak out at Crooked Creek campground right there where the chain link fence comes down to the water...???
    I am sure you could. It would cut your float short and cut out some great king fishing areas though.
    Also you then need to pay a day use parking fee. The beach is free parking.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  11. #11
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am sure you could. It would cut your float short and cut out some great king fishing areas though.
    Also you then need to pay a day use parking fee. The beach is free parking.
    There is no fee being collected yet at crooked crk cmpgrd. til the season gets rolling. I was just there yestrday and only saw 6 other fshrmn total. I rolled 2 steelies. Saw no one hook any others.
    If u took out here, your paddle would be short. I agree w above, that if u go to the mouth at high tide u'll be paddling ALOT. But u would go thru lots of good water if u go to the mouth. I think i would opt for the lower tide time of day and do the beach p/u.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  12. #12
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am sure you could. It would cut your float short and cut out some great king fishing areas though.
    Also you then need to pay a day use parking fee. The beach is free parking.
    Yes we want to hit those lower river holes especially since we are chasing the dream of an early king and the fish will probably not be as far up. We will shoot for a low tide take out. That is some fantastic advice. I would have never thought of that.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  13. #13

    Default tide

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Yes we want to hit those lower river holes especially since we are chasing the dream of an early king and the fish will probably not be as far up. We will shoot for a low tide take out. That is some fantastic advice. I would have never thought of that.
    Let's just say expierence was my teacher and now I know haha....

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    There is no fee being collected yet at crooked crk cmpgrd. til the season gets rolling. I was just there yestrday and only saw 6 other fshrmn total. I rolled 2 steelies. Saw no one hook any others.
    If u took out here, your paddle would be short. I agree w above, that if u go to the mouth at high tide u'll be paddling ALOT. But u would go thru lots of good water if u go to the mouth. I think i would opt for the lower tide time of day and do the beach p/u.
    i was there this morning and saw a park ranger checking for payment, lucky i had just got there.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ninilchik
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    i was there this morning and saw a park ranger checking for payment, lucky i had just got there.
    do they check often?
    i'll likely be down at a few parks parking areas many times and i guess i should get an annual pass if so...
    is this website right:
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/asp/fees.htm

  16. #16
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    I always just buy the annual pass.
    That way I don't have to worry about paying or having correct change etc.
    They can check anytime so not paying is ill advised imho.
    The annual pass is good at all state parks locations except the pillars.
    It really isn't too bad pricewise and you can get a second one at half price I believe so go in with a friend buy two and save a few bucks each.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  17. #17
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IFISHAK View Post
    i was there this morning and saw a park ranger checking for payment, lucky i had just got there.

    Did u notice if the ranger was unlocking the facilities (bathrms still locked?) or was he/she there just looking for payments?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  18. #18
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Well we did the float from the bridge to the mouth. What an adventure. We brought a friend from work that had limited boating experience and within about 3 minutes of being on the water he fell in. Luckily in a shallow area and his neoprene and PFD saved his bacon and he escaped just a little wet and a bruised pride.

    No fish to speak of all the way down. Didnt even see one roll. Fished plugs and vibrax from the shore and the kayaks. Also slung some flies for steelies and bows but nothing there either.

    We miss timed the tide on the way out though by about 1.5 hrs and ended up paddling against the water coming in and a 10-20 mph head wind. That made for a very long painful ride. Finished up and camped on the beach. Will probably be doing this again in the very near future hopefully with better fishing and a correctly timed tide exit.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

  19. #19
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Well we did the float from the bridge to the mouth. What an adventure. We brought a friend from work that had limited boating experience and within about 3 minutes of being on the water he fell in. Luckily in a shallow area and his neoprene and PFD saved his bacon and he escaped just a little wet and a bruised pride.

    No fish to speak of all the way down. Didnt even see one roll. Fished plugs and vibrax from the shore and the kayaks. Also slung some flies for steelies and bows but nothing there either.

    We miss timed the tide on the way out though by about 1.5 hrs and ended up paddling against the water coming in and a 10-20 mph head wind. That made for a very long painful ride. Finished up and camped on the beach. Will probably be doing this again in the very near future hopefully with better fishing and a correctly timed tide exit.
    There is also some good steelhead fishing above the bridge. Not much if anything for the early run kings though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  20. #20
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    There is also some good steelhead fishing above the bridge. Not much if anything for the early run kings though.
    We talked to a few fellas that were coming back from steelhead fishing above the bridge. They said the bite was very slow as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •