Thread: Cast bullets and the 358Win. - Suggestions Needed

Default Cast bullets and the 358Win. - Suggestions Needed

Would like to experiment with my Ruger Hawkeye 358Win using 245 or 250gr cast bullets. Would like your bullet and load suggestions please. I have never used cast bullets in my 358Win and would like to avoid wasting money, time and load components. desiring to drive them between 2200fps and 2300 fps. Any suggestions from your experiences would be appreciated and comments on game taken. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You are pushing the envelope at 2200/2300fps. You are going to have to make the bullet pretty hard to stand that kind of speed and not skid in the rifling when starting out. Hard means brittle which doesn't make a very good bullet for hunting. Paper patching will get you there as you can use a softer bullet that will expand and not breakup and still not skid in the rifling at launch. About 2000 fps is where accuracy can go away if everything isn't right. There are people doing what you are asking but usually it's after some length of trials before they get there. You may be on the low end of bullet rpm for that length of bullet as well. Use a powder that is on the slow end of burn rate as this will ease the bullet into the rifling a little less abruptly. I know you are wanting a heavier bullet but the RCBS 200gr is a very good bullet for accuracy. Molds in the 250gr range are hard to find unless you go custom. I looked for a while for a 250gr for my 358Norma and ended up with a 358009 copy which casts about 290gr. The 358Win should make an excellent cast bullet gun. Google a site called "Cast Boolits" and ask for specific load info. There are folks there that can answer questions you haven't even thought of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I know you are wanting a heavier bullet but the RCBS 200gr is a very good bullet for accuracy.
    I agree. That's just one heck of a bullet, accurate as a snakebite in every 35 cal I've used it in. But I tootle them along at about 1500fps with Unique. Never tried to top 2k and no interest.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Would like to experiment with my Ruger Hawkeye 358Win using 245 or 250gr cast bullets. Would like your bullet and load suggestions please. I have never used cast bullets in my 358Win and would like to avoid wasting money, time and load components. desiring to drive them between 2200fps and 2300 fps. Any suggestions from your experiences would be appreciated and comments on game taken. Thank you
    300 grainer with a gas check. You'll see velocities equal to 250 grainers.

Crimp a gas check on this bullet:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046438654/hunters-supply-hard-cast-bullets-35-caliber-359-diameter-300-grain-lead-flat-nose

and you will soon discover that pesky little 225 grainers aren't the "optimum" bullet for the 358 winchester. Go slightly faster than Tac.

.358 gas checks:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/134...er-box-of-1000

mainer_in_ak, sent you a PM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I don't have a .358 Win, but do load for a 35 Whelen AI. I use the RCBS 250 grain spire point gas-checked from Montana Bullet Works with Accurate 5744 powder to 1900 fps. An accurate and excellent practice load.

Here is an excellent article on the .358 by Paco Kelly: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/358_wcf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by drow View Post
    I don't have a .358 Win, but do load for a 35 Whelen AI. I use the RCBS 250 grain spire point gas-checked from Montana Bullet Works with Accurate 5744 powder to 1900 fps. An accurate and excellent practice load.

Here is an excellent article on the .358 by Paco Kelly: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/358_wcf.htm
    Funny you mentioned that because I am thinking of using their 250gr bullet and I sent them an email yesterday asking some questionI am thinking of first trying Montana bullets works bullets first and see how they do here is a link. http://www.montanabulletworks.com/358_Rifle.htmls.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS