Thread: Oar question

Default Oar question

I am about to buy a 9' or 10' Carlisle oar. There are two blade choices a 6.5" and an 8". Is there a definite choice here or what are the differences? What do you use?

Default oars

I choose a blade based on the size of the boat, frame width and type of river I use the boat for. On my cat for Kenai I use a 10'er and the 8" magnum blade. On 13' round boat on smaller streams I use a 7-8" with 8" magnum blade. I like the 8"er personally.

Default blade width

My personal take is that it really doesn't matter, and comes down to personal preference. Clearly the wider blades will catch the wind a bit more in a headwind situation, but they will give you more forward movement with your oar strokes. I use the wide blades on everything. If you were nursing a shoulder injury you would have less stress per stroke with the narrow blades, but remember that it will take more strokes to get where you're going too. Just my opinion.

By the way, at the Sportsman Show I heard a rumor that Carlisle may be dropping their break-down oar line. I got the info from Dan Lingo, the NRS rep that was there. This is real bad news for Alaska floaters, as most of us are using those oars. So... stock up, gentlemen! There are others out there, but they're WAY more expensive. This is still in the rumor mill, and when I talked to the folks at Alaska Raft and Kayak they were not aware of it. So, maybe- maybe not. Just a heads-up.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Oars

Mike I will be in Grayling MI in Mid May I will hold them down and make them make more break down oars. However it will cost you a book :-)

See in Fairbanks in a couple of weeks.

Default Anything will help!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Mike I will be in Grayling MI in Mid May I will hold them down and make them make more break down oars. However it will cost you a book :-)

See in Fairbanks in a couple of weeks.
    It's worth a try!

Book? What book? Hey, we're on the deferred payment plan! I keep hearing "soon"... one thing for sure, it's sooner now than it was a year ago!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay