Thread: Late July Reds

Default Late July Reds

I'm putting the final touch on a late July/early August fishing trip for me and my husband. I have three days still unaccounted for - July 28th through 31st. We want to use those days to target reds. Based on my research, I know it will be either the Russian or Kenia. Recommendations, please, on areas we should concentrate on, including lodging recommendations. We don't need much, just looking for something clean with cooking facilities. Thanks in advance.

I would strongly advise looking into soldotna bed and breakfast lodge. It has a beautiful layout, is affordable, the owners make a REAL breakfast (blueberry crapes, bacon, eggs, sausage) when we have been there. They also have a beautiful lawn with a nice sitting area and a short hundred or two hundred foot walk down their backyard is a private fishing platform and direct access to great red salmon fishing. They will be able to give you some pointers for getting on the fish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HereFishyFishy View Post
    I'm putting the final touch on a late July/early August fishing trip for me and my husband. I have three days still unaccounted for - July 28th through 31st. We want to use those days to target reds. Based on my research, I know it will be either the Russian or Kenia. Recommendations, please, on areas we should concentrate on, including lodging recommendations. We don't need much, just looking for something clean with cooking facilities. Thanks in advance.

If your going to have a car I suggest finding a nice place to stay in Soldotna or Kenai and then watch the reports here as the season progresses to decide where to fish. Its not that far to drive out to the Russian if the fish are there and not in town, or to do some trout fishing after you catch your reds. Should be able to get them right in Soldotna that time of year but each year is a little different.