Thread: Lituya Bay info please

Default Lituya Bay info please

I usually run from Juneau to Sitka in June, targeting kings and halibut. This year I am thinking about heading north, up to Yakutat, and stopping in Lituya Bay on the way. Any advice about fishing/crabbing/prawns, places to anchor, etc. inside the bay would be greatly appreciated. If the weather gods are very kind to us we will head out to the Fairweather Grounds, which looks like a gold mine for halibut and lings.

Thanks,

Big_E

No advice from me....but if you get a chance to read some history on that bay it is very interesting.
    Earthquake then a landslide did some serious damage down there. Check it out if you haven't already.
    BK

No advice from me either, but this article is fascinating, particularly the megatsunami in 1958.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lituya_Bay#section_2

Also, this is another good article.

http://www.sitnews.us/Kiffer/LituyaB...ituya_bay.html

Not much about fishing, but it sure is an interesting and historical area.

Howard Ulrich was skipper of the crew boat, Sitka Ranger, when I worked for the USFS in the 70s. He could entrance you with that story.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    No advice from me....but if you get a chance to read some history on that bay it is very interesting.
    Earthquake then a landslide did some serious damage down there. Check it out if you haven't already.
    BK
    The Bay definitely has a wild history. I have read about it, including the debate over whether the next quake/tsunami is overdue or not, and how big it will be. I am going with the theory that the back end of the bay had so much rock dumped in it in 1958 that when the next quake hits the wave will be much, much smaller. That said, I still plan to anchor in the lee of Cenotaph Island just in case. Without any additional info, I plan to try the south side of Cenotaph, which drops off fast to 400+ feet and has decent current, for prawns, some flat spots in 50' to 80' north of Cenotaph for crabs, and drift and/or anchor for halibut between Cenotaph and the mouth of the bay. I'll report back toward the end of June.

Big_E

Back in a past life I used to power troll off and on between Cape Spencer and Yakutat. I would go in an out of Lituya a few times each season and stayed in there due to crappy weather on the ocean from time to time. Best tide stage for entry and exit is "high slack" - you don't want to try going in against a strong ebb - things can happen pretty quickly going through the slot.

I never had any shrimp gear with me so I don't have any experience there in that regard, but I noticed personal-use buoys on the south side of Cenotaph Is. in what appeared to be good shrimp habitat. For anchoring my group of fishing partner boats always anchored between Cenotaph and the north shore of the Bay. Another favorite spot that worked for others was in the shallows on the south side of the entrance (where Ulrich was anchored in 1958). This latter spot could be windy if it comes up out of the SW but from what I remember it has a farily good holding bottom. There are little trickle-creeks with Dungeness potential on both shores of the outer Bay. You will see both moose and brown bear - mostly on the north side. Have fun!

We will be there in late June attempting to do the same thing. There are several reports of good shrimping and halibut fishing there I will look for the links and post on this thread.

Chuck

I found the link about some of the fishing in the bay. http://www.seleneowners.org/SO_news.php?newsid=33

It sounds pretty good to me!!

yeah it does. I bet a guy could find a king or two in there also.