Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braid

Default Braid

We are putting 30# braid on some spinning reels for silvers, which color is better or does it make a diffference? Also should we use flurocarbon leaders?

Thanks, Sherry

Personally i like green for salmon and red for halibut but i dont think it makes much difference. I use a flouro leader for all my salmon fishing in the salt. i think it does help.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post
    We are putting 30# braid on some spinning reels for silvers, which color is better or does it make a diffference? Also should we use flurocarbon leaders?

Thanks, Sherry
    Probably a more important question would be what brand of braid to use. A number of braids utilize various methods to give the line more "body" and castability. Lines that are too "loose" tend to not cast too well because they just won't go through the guides on your rod smoothly. And they often times can do things like wrap around a guide or rod tip and your line will just stop abruptly. Sufix and PowerPro both are name brands that have various add-ons that will improve their performance for longer casting. Cabela's (and I'm sure there are others) provides very good descriptions of what various brands of line do for you.

As for color I prefer green because it seems to be less visible in the water.

As for fluorocarbon, I have started to use Seaguar Premier Leader because I've found it gives me the best strength and durability and it is a LOT less visible in the water than standard mono lines. The only problem with it is that it is on the pricey side, but to me it's worth the investment.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I like power pro yellow so I can see it. I don't think color matters. I used yellow even in the clear water flats of the Florida Keys and the fish where not spooked by the yellow line. I don't by into the red is invisible hype. It is true the red color spectrum only goes to a certain depth, but doesn't mean its invisible. Just a different color. Mainly a greenish tint color.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    I don't think color matters.
    Yeah, I only say "green" because I have an underwater camera and when I look at the video green braid seems to show up less than red. It's a B&W camera so color doesn't show, but red actually looks a lot "blacker" than green.

And I have found that kings seem to spook a lot more easily than silvers, and halibut don't seem to spook at all. I had to stop using my camera for kings because they just didn't like the fact that they had a camera pointed at them with a large yellow video cable attached to it. But silvers are completely opposite---I've had a lot of silvers that actually swim right up to the camera and look into the lens. It's pretty funny.

I use green on silvers and yellow or white on halibut. I prefer the yellow for halibut so I can see it but it seems to be hard to find at a reasonable price at times so I have white right now.

Although not saltwater, I have gone to the bright pink or yellow line for pretty much all my river fishing, I like that other people can see my line. I use a long flouro leader when trout fishing and haven't had any trouble catching. FWIW

Thanks everyone, We were going to order a 1500 yd spool of Power Pro, does 30# seem right for silvers in the salt?

30# should be perfect. I also go for hi-vis colors, usually yellow, on my spinning gear. I have a mix of colors on my halibut gear because it is easier to untangle.

Big_E

I woudl go 40. Its still super thin but the extra knot strength is nice to have. Thats what is so nice with braid. You can use an heavier line and still have a very small diameter

I use 30# Sufix & a 15 # fluorocarbon leader

Thanks everyone, We were going to order a 1500 yd spool of Power Pro, does 30# seem right for silvers in the salt?
    I don't see any reason 30# wouldn't be fine. Unless you're using a pretty hefty spinning rod your rod is going to break before your mainline will.

I also like 40lb hi vis to see my line. I have had issues with wind knots with the smaller diameter line. Also it's more versatile for kings or jigging for shallow water rock fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    I also like 40lb hi vis to see my line. I have had issues with wind knots with the smaller diameter line. Also it's more versatile for kings or jigging for shallow water rock fish.
    Truth be known the skinny stuff is a royal PITA to untangle, especially with cold fingers, and it tangles easy. I don't like to drop below 50#, and for that reason I don't like it on spinning reels. Love it on my offshore rods, but it stays in the boat and doesn't walk the rivers with me.

I use all different colors. This helps me when lines get tangled!
    I like the yellow cause of the visibility in low light..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

While you're at this discussion....anyone tried the new PowerPro "Super-Slick 8" braid? hype sounds good, especially for spinning reels, and I like the blue color, it's purdy! It's online, haven't seen any in stores yet...

I like the idea of using different colors. We are using this in the salt, but have heard on this and other threads that braid is not good for river fishing? Why?

I like the idea of using different colors. We are using this in the salt, but have heard on this and other threads that braid is not good for river fishing? Why?
    Yeah, I've mentioned in a couple of threads the same thing about using different colors to help in de-tangling lines, as I'm sure others have too. It really helps a LOT.

I can really only think of one reason not to use it in rivers. If you're fishing in close proximity to other people like at the Russian or in other "combat fishing" situations it's not unusual to cross lines with those other people. Braid can really mess up other peoples' lines if they're using mono. And if they're using braid too and you get tangled you'll probably end up having to cut your line and the other person's too. Even if you're using 50# it's still a pain to de-tangle and you and the other person probably aren't going to want to stand there for 5 minutes untangling a bird's nest.

Though conversely it could be argued that using braid might be advantageous in combat situations because you can use line that isn't likely to break and you can haul in your fish a lot quicker than if you're using mono. Saves the aggravation of the possibility of crossing other peoples' lines.

I try to avoid combat fishing as much as possible and I love using braid when I'm fishing freshwater in certain situations. I love the fact that it tends to telegraph subtle bites better than mono and I also love that I know it isn't going to break on me if I get a bigger than usual fish on.

I think you're going to find it's pretty much a personal preference sort of thing.

I have no problem with power pro on my spinners. Just don't fill the spool all the way up.

One reason is people frown upon this. When you get tangled its suppose to be Harper to untangled.
    I learn this as a young buck fishing ship creek in the early years living here.

Also some braids is hard to cast ...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'll use braid in the river from a boat, however I dont use braid in the river FROM SHORE for a few reasons:

If you hang up with braid you typically have to cut it off if it won't pull out. Do that a couple times even and you'll ruin a stretch of river because you'll start hanging up on that braid you just cut off. I've seen some really good holes get plugged up this way.

In a combat area like the Russian, braid will easily cut thinner mono if your line crosses someone elses. I

f someone reaches out and grabs your line because you crossed there line, or your fish runs way down below it can do damage to their hands very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast